TechSpot

My Processor - It's Too Hot

By WaveExistence
Mar 9, 2009
  1. Type : Intel Pentium D
    Internal Specification : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz
    Model Number : 840
    Codename : SmithField

This is the processor I use in my computer, and according to PC Wizard it is now running at 98 Celsius! It usually runs at 70-74 degrees which is already quite hot, although it has a temperature control of 82 degrees. I've recently applied new thermal paste and cleaned the heat sink/fan, and I'm sure that it's socket correctly.

Obviously there is either a reporting problem with this program or my processor is actually at this ridiculous level of heat, so I need to figure this out.

2. redk

redk TS Rookie Posts: 91

Sounds like you need to clean out your HeatSink/Fan.
    I'd suggest getting a can of compressed air from your local computer depot and doing a thorough clean out of your case, holding onto all fans with one hand so they don't move and cleaning out the heat sinks and fan blades.

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Have you tried getting readings from other programs, as well as checking the temps via the BIOS? Pentium D CPUs do run hot, but if the idle temp is above 80C, then something is seriously wrong.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.