TechSpot

My Seagate HD "hums", and it doesn't spin, nor can be read by the computer..

?

Is this something that has happens often?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
By soulman1015
Jan 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Ok, so here it is. I have a Seagate Barracuda 750GB external HD that hums off and on, but doesn't seem to spin the drive.

I have looked all over for information on this, and found pretty much nothing in the way of humming except one sound clip...

My hard drive was literally tapped by a book from about 6 inches up. It was on the floor, and didn't even tip. However, it was on at the time.

Now, when I plug it in, it gives a literal rhythmic hum. "Hum (pause, pause, pause) Hum etc) and the computer isn't recognizing it.

Can anyone give me a suggestion? If necessary I will record it and upload the sound. Is this fixable by someone other than a clean room tech (so I'm not stuck paying 700 dollars or more)

Thanks

Soulman1015

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

If it's not spinning up then it's probably not something you can repair yourself.

3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

You can always disassemble the external drive and try using it in your computer as a regular drive. The enclosure or its connectors may have been damaged and the drive may be ok.