My sound is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

imtherealjesus

WINDOwSXP
Alright, i have anolouge speakers that have just been wiped off my computer...my computer was recently fixed from being crashed for over a year and i come back and my sound is gone....so i go into device manager and IDT High Definiton AUDIO CODEC with the yellow !.and below it legacy audio capture devices is normal and media video controls are normal and Video codecs are normal..so i unistall and reinstall 4 time and that doesnt work...i go to windows update and it doesnt fix it...I have no clue what to do next but ask around..please help me out..

just some more info that might be helpful

System
Microsoft Windows XP
Home edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer
Intel[R]
Pentium(R)CPU 2.80GHZ
2.79GH, 1.00 GB RAM

this is what i get when i go to start>run>msinfo32>components>problemdevices

Ethernet Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_01AB1028&REV_01\4&5855BE9&0&40F0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7680&SUBSYS_102801AB&REV_1032\4&B5B2454&0&0001 This device cannot start.

Multimedia Controller PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4D53&SUBSYS_A5031028&REV_00\4&117729E2&0&00E0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

SM Bus Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DA&SUBSYS_01D21028&REV_01\3&172E68DD&0&FB The drivers for this device are not installed.

Video Controller PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B72&SUBSYS_06031002&REV_00\4&1603E009&0&0108 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Video Controller (VGA Compatible) PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B62&SUBSYS_06021002&REV_00\4&1603E009&0&0008 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Check for Problem Devices
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Off to bed now.. but will look in sometime tomorrow when i can ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

fyi... The XP installation CD only includes a few very basic generic drivers. So, after your reinstall, you're still missing many of the device specific drivers needed for your computer. We should be able to get these from Dell's support site for model.

It looks like "DM051" is what Dell calls your "model code". Your actual model number is a Dimension E510 (should you need to find stuff for your computer based on its model number).

again, just fyi... Dell's support site starts here which would take us here for Dimension E510. (You might want to enter your service tag as well or verify the picture to confirm it's the right page)

Then download and install (in this order)
> Chipset drivers
> Network - Intel Driver - PRO/100
> Video - ATI Driver - Radeon X600
> Audio - Sigmatel Driver

Then check and post any remaining Problem Devices and we'll see what still needed

Err...I know how to install the network,video,audio..but chipset IDK..here is a screenshot
btw I renamed drivers I downloaded
btw I have NOT downloaded any of them cause chipset was suppose to be downloaded first and IDK how..

Attachments

• help fix sound.JPG
    help fix sound.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 2
I made a System Restore just incase you want me to go back..

I downloaded the network,video,audio and here is my problems device..

Multimedia Controller PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4D53&SUBSYS_A5031028&REV_00\4&117729E2&0&00E0 The drivers for this device are not installed.
RADEON X600 256MB HyperMemory Secondary PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B72&SUBSYS_06031002&REV_00\4&1603E009&0&0108 This device cannot start.
SM Bus Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DA&SUBSYS_01D21028&REV_01\3&172E68DD&0&FB The drivers for this device are not installed.

if you need me to go back i will i made system restore and ill come back and post if my sound is working i have volume thing in corner

EDIT:i played a song from itunes and my speakers ARE working..but if you want me to system restore and tell me how to download chipset i will!

When you click on the chipset download button from Dell it should download a file R114566.EXE you can execute. Try downloading again. maybe you hit the wrong button? /* You don't need to do a system restore. Just download chipset and run the file */

1) By any chance did you add (or does your Dell) include a card reader? That's often what those SM Bus controller devices are

2) In any case, after try installing chipset again why don't re-run Problem Devices once more. Then i'll see if can track down devices still left

And glad to hear at least the sound is back! :grinthumb

alright i redownloaded chipset and installed and but i installed it last..

Network>Video>Audio>Chipset

thats order i downloaded all the drivers..
my sound is working and the other drivers i installed are working properly.
BTW i disabled the network cause im wireless so thats y its disabled below

here is my problems device:

Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_01AB1028&REV_01\4&5855BE9&0&40F0 This device is disabled.

RADEON X600 256MB HyperMemory Secondary PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5B72&SUBSYS_06031002&REV_00\4&1603E009&0&0108 This device cannot start.

One thing i noticed in device manager..multimedia controller is the ONLY yelow exclamation blimp ....is this important? should we fix this also?

OK. Looks like SM Bus Controller was resolved by chipset drivers.

Do you have an ATI TV Tuner card in your computer? My current guess is tha'ts the multimedia controller. You'll also find the ATI TV Tuner drivers on Dell's site.

uhhhh....how can i check to see if i have a ATI TV Tuner Card..cause ive never even heard of that..
this tower is just how i bought it...i havent put in or taken or tweaked anything

Well, I suspect (but not sure) that the multimedia controller problem device we're seeing uses the video driver listed on Dell's site as: ATI TVT2-DT TV Wonder Elite

On the one hand you could try downloading it and see if the problem goes away BUT even if we find it's the right driver, your problem is you don't have the TV Wonder Elite application to reinstall to actually use that device! (as Dell is providing the driver on their site but not the application itself)

So, on the one hand, you might just disable it and leave it be since you haven't needed it or used it, to date. On the other hand, if that driver really is correct maybe this link might help provide some clues for you (but it might all be more work to try and figure out how to use that card then is worth the effort)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back