My Toshiba Satellite shuts down after few minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toshiba satellite M65-S821, 9 moths ago I added an extra 1GB of DDR RAM, 2 month later the laptop started to turn off when using software like Corel draw or photoshot with big files, but that was not something regular. In the last month this problem was growing and now my computer turns off after max 3 minutes.

I have removed the DDR and swithced places with the original one (all the possible combinations) with and without the new RAM , Only with the new RAM etc.

I have succeded to format the main HDD partition and tried to flash the BIOS with a update but I cannot finish this operation because the laptop turns off after max 3 min.

Did annyone had the same problem?

Thanks , in advance.
Sfigmo

Is the laptop overheating? Have you tried removing the battery and running only off the AC adapter? Does the laptop still shut off? This may be caused by a failing motherboard

It's quite likely that, as Tmagic650 mentions, it is overheating.
I've has 2 Toshiba laptops which developed an overheating problem caused by dust getting sucked into the case by the fan, eventually clogging the fan's air intake passages/heat sink assembly.
The symptoms were just as you described--first occurring when the cpu was under a heavy load, eventually the computers would shut-down in a very short while after booting-up.
You can try to blow the dust out of the heat sink with a can of compressed air, but it is likely to give short-lived improvement---though inexpensive.
If you're very handy and adventurous---and willing to risk damaging your computer, you can find instructions online (Google it) to disassemble your laptop so you can completely clean-out the dust.

Thank you I will try to disassemble the laptop ( I have some experience in desktops) - hope I will not blow it.

It's not that it's tremendously difficult, it's just that there are lots of screws and some of them are a bit hidden, so finding sites online that give you a step by step--one even has pictures of each step--really does make the task simpler.
I use a piece of styrofoam to stick the screws into, to ensure that each screw gets put back into its proper place. You wouldn't want to put a slightly longer screw into the wrong hole and find that you've just shorted-out the motherboard, for example.
Be sure to get a grounding strap from an electronics or computer store, since computers aren't very forgiving when it comes to static discharge.
Get back to us and let us know how everything works out.

not sure if you managed to get a good website with disassembly guides, but i have used this one in the past and found it really helpful.

like Manikle said, its good to make a 'map' of your screws and items as you remove them. all the simples like hdd, optical drive and ram are obvious and you can just pop them in a box but i like to use a piece of A4 paper sideways and draw a circle for each screw as i remove it.

good luck!

yep definately a heat issue, and possibly already damaged past the point of dusting and re applying compound, might have to buy a new board, hope that posts above help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back