My tower Power button will not work

Hello I am new to building the pcs so I am afraid I may have fried mine I really am pry I did not but this is what happened.

I finish the pc and when I turned on the power supply the power button on the motherboard glowed so then I pressed my tower button and nothing worked so then I re setup he F_PANEL cords u know the pwr switch and all that jazz. turns out it was set up wrong so I put them in right and tried to turn on the computer again the power button on the motherboard turns on but not my towers power button and so my pc will not officially turn on I am guessing and I am worried that I may have fryed my pc because when I took out the f panlle cords I realized my pc was still on and turned it off immanently and I am afraid that may have fryed the motherboard if anyone can help me it would be wonderful I am freaking out and have no Idea what the problem thank you for reading :D
P.S My tower button does not making a clicking sound when you push it I am not sure if that normal or it is broken or somthing it just doesnt make any click sounds

You could have a defective power switch on the PC case. Test this by using the reset switch as a temporary power switch. The power switch and the reset switch are the same for practical purposes except, of course, the size of the button (on most cases). If the reset switch works and is able to start the PC, then you know the power switch is defective.

You can also short out the two power pins with anything metal to test if its the case power buttons which are defective as mailpup mentioned.

OK, bear in mind you can also lock the power button on in Windows. (Control Panel > power options > when I push the power switch the computer>>>>does something).

Obviously, if you haven't tampered with those settings, this is a lower likelihood issue. But, it is possible.

My geek friend suggested replacing power supply box & that's what it was. Although getting back online was a problem after it was replaced, I had to readjust clock date & time, then use system restore.

^ That is unrelated to a switch problem, that is a bad PSU. If a PSU is real bad then sure it won't power the computer up after hitting the power button. OP indicated he thought it was a switch and that maybe he fried his motherboard - but he never replied so we won't know.

To shed some more light on your issue, it also sounds like the little battery on your motherboard is dead. Because even with a bad PSU, you shouldn't have to reset the date. You can test this by powering off your computer, unplugging the PSU cord, and while it is unplugged try turning your PC on. I'd then let it sit a few minutes (this may not be necessary, but it isn't going to hurt anything), before plugging it back in and booting up. If your date and time is incorrect that battery is in need of replacement.

A power button can not damage a power supply. There is not much power in it to begin with. It just sends a signal to the power supply to turn on. Alternatively, if you have a reset button that will do the same thing if you wire the power button lead from the case to the reset button instead. Sometimes they stick or maybe you did not line up case and it rubbed on the opening where the power button is. Sometimes you do get a bad power supply.

The power buttons do not lock on and off. As you depress one it merely sends a low voltage signal to the power supply and then the power supply activates. It works just like a doorbell button on your front door. It is called a momentary switch. Even when you shut down a computer the power supply is still considered to be on and there may be power signals being sent back and forth. So you have to unplug it at the wall or the back of the PC. For instance if you move your mouse or press the space bar on a keyboard that wakes up the computer CPU from a low power sleep state. So make sure the computer is completely powered down with a shutdown command and then you unplug the computer.

It does help to unplug it from the wall or at the back of the PC. Most of the time the motherboard will be OK. The circuit with the CPU tends to automatically shut down if it gets too hot or there is not enough power. A bad power supply will sometimes send a surge through to components and the motherboard. RAM (DDR3) and Drives might be more likely to be damaged. Often an event like this might damage some files on a hard drive or maybe worse for an SSD.

It is always a good Idea to consult the manual before connecting the case headers to the motherboard. Different companies and brands may use slightly diff abbreviations. There is not a completely standardized set of abbreviations for the case/motherboard connectors and plugs.

Sometimes the motherboard will short out if components or the motherboard circuits make contact with metal parts in the case. This can be a standoff touching the back of the motherboard, a loose screw under the motherboard or a an I/O board like a video card grounding out on the metal case. If things get really frustrating it is time to take everything apart and test it outside of the case on a card board box.

Last edited:
A problem with these power buttons is that frequently you are not depressing a button at all. This is usually hidden behind a cosmetic cover which may itself have issues. I experienced this together with many other people with a Masterplug Power Tower. I had it permanently turned on because it was so temperamental. It turned itself off permanently a few days ago and I forced off the top to inspect it. The "button" is a disc moving up and down in a shallow tube. The actual power switch is not connected to the ornamental bit. I suspect that this happens with a number of desktops. It's unlikely that the glowing “button” is actually the switch. It may be sticking or itself damaged and preventing the real switch behind it from working properly. That may not be true here but it's worth thinking about.

You can also short out the two power pins with anything metal to test if its the case power buttons which are defective as mailpup mentioned.

Thanks so much such a good idea I was sitting myself that my mobo was short-circuited

Back