My USB isnt working with my laptop, but at school it works fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i plug in my memory stick at home and click on computer and on removable disk, it doesnt want to show me my files. The program quits responding and I have to take out my memory stick. Sometimes, it will show me my files but it won't let me access them. It will take forever to act like its loading and then it won't and "Computer" says it is not responding. Is it my device? I bought it Windows Vista compatible. I dont understand why I cant get to my files. After removing the stick so my computer will go back to being responsive, the program "My computer" will not recognize the device again. I have tried all my USB ports, they do the same thing. I have restarted my computer and it does the same thing. I need help!!!

>>>To Blind Dragon. I have no pop ups. I also use Norton Firewall Security.

>>>To jobeard, Windows Vista fails to uninstall USB devices on my computer. Also, when the program "My computer" freezes up, u cant do anything unless u remove the USB first bc it glitches the computer.

Obviously its not the device. It has something to do with your computer.

When you plug in the device just let it sit for a minute, vista should go and get the proper drivers/firmware for the device.

Watch you tray in the bottom right hand side of the screen. Does a box pop up when you plug in the device.

Do you have a firewall installed if so which one?

it may be too late if you've pulled the device without using Safely Remove!

boot the system; right-click My Computer->Manage->Device Mgr

uninstall ALL usb devices (CAUTION: you need the keyboard and Mouse if you use them as USB)

power off the system

attach your USB stick and boot the system; the correct drivers should be reinstalled

My Computer should now show the device; if not, shutdown before you remove the stick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back