TechSpot

My vista won't shut down

By phatbass30
Jul 21, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi guys, i'm new here and this is my first post. i know that this problem has been posted before but i can't find the right answer at the moment.

i have a vista starter and for the past few days my PC has not shut down normally. The screen goes "blank" after the 'Windows is shutting down' page and I have to press down the power button eventually. I've scanned the PC with Kaspersky anti-virus and anti-spyware softwares but found nothing.

i just restored my PC and i don't wanna go through that process again. any infos or help will be much appreciated.

thanks in advance!
  2. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,086

Try to go through defragment process and hopefully it will stop doing like that :)
  3. phatbass30

phatbass30 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

tried it but it didn't help...

thanks for the reply anyway.

any more suggestions?

thanks
  4. Redlampman

Redlampman Newcomer, in training

I'm still working on this problem myself, but think I may have cracked it...
    On 'Task Manager' I turned off 'DWM.exe' which promptly restarted, but I was then able to shut down normally (If I did this immediately). (DWM.exe controls Vista Aero).
    I have since turned off 'Windows Aero' and use 'Vista Basic' instead, this does seem to have fixed things for the moment but its early days to say if its a definite fix. If youre still struggling, could you try it and let us know if you are successful?
    Cheers
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.