Mysterious files after XP re-install

By Tommygunn
Sep 17, 2009
  1. I re-installed XP yesterday to resolve some issues I was having but since then, and never before, I keep getting strange gobbledegook files appearing in my D drive.
    I have XP installed on the C drive and all my other junk on the D. The files I get in my D drive are below:

Left hand folder:

I am unable to delete by the usual basic means, not tried HijackThis etc yet, and if I do have to have them I don't want them appearing in my nice and neat D drive.

Any ideas on how to stop this?
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Remove partition. Repartition. Reformat. Reinstall from a cold boot.
  3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 67

That seems a bit excessive as I've basically just done that with the re-install and all the hassle that that involves.
    I have my regedit set to D drive so I'm going to switch it back to C drive and manually remove the D drive files.
  4. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,020

@ Raybay...
    Don't these files/directories appear after certain Windows XP updates (not the actual install) I have similar ones on mine also, but don't know which update created them.

I would suggest creating a temporary folder, move everything to it, and if at some point Windows is searching for it, put it back. I think they're temporary files needed in the event of a restore or something along that line.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.