TechSpot

Mysterious files after XP re-install

By Tommygunn
Sep 17, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I re-installed XP yesterday to resolve some issues I was having but since then, and never before, I keep getting strange gobbledegook files appearing in my D drive.
    I have XP installed on the C drive and all my other junk on the D. The files I get in my D drive are below:

D:
    [​IMG]

Left hand folder:

[​IMG]

amd64:

[​IMG]

i386:

[​IMG]

I am unable to delete by the usual basic means, not tried HijackThis etc yet, and if I do have to have them I don't want them appearing in my nice and neat D drive.

Any ideas on how to stop this?
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Remove partition. Repartition. Reformat. Reinstall from a cold boot.
  3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn TechSpot Member Topic Starter Posts: 90

That seems a bit excessive as I've basically just done that with the re-install and all the hassle that that involves.
    I have my regedit set to D drive so I'm going to switch it back to C drive and manually remove the D drive files.
  4. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

@ Raybay...
    Don't these files/directories appear after certain Windows XP updates (not the actual install) I have similar ones on mine also, but don't know which update created them.

I would suggest creating a temporary folder, move everything to it, and if at some point Windows is searching for it, put it back. I think they're temporary files needed in the event of a restore or something along that line.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.