Mystery of Google Maps images of China's Gobi Desert solved

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Several mysterious images of designs and structures found in China’s Gobi Desert surfaced earlier this week and left most Internet users speechless. Speculation has run wild for days as to their purpose but now a research technician and mission planner at the Mars Space Flight Facility at Arizona State University is confident he has the answers.

One image shows what appears to be a Stonehenge-like arrangement of objects, another reveals a mock airport runway while several others look more like an aerial view of multiple connected city streets – not exactly what you’d expect to find in the middle of a desert.

mystery google maps china gobi desert gizmodo

As it turns out, they are all used to calibrate China’s spy satellites, according to Jonathon Hill. As described by Fox News, satellites focus in on the grids seen in some of the aerial maps and use them to orientate themselves in space.

Hill believes that many of the 65-foot wide lines were drawn on the desert floor using paint. Chalk or powder would have certainly been blown away by winds. The fact that some of the targets are so large indicates that China’s spy satellite cameras could have poor resolution. One target is estimated to be .65 miles wide by 1.15 miles long.

mystery google maps china gobi desert gizmodo

The Stonehenge-like arrangement seen above shows a series of fighter jets parked near the center. Hill thinks this is a calibration / test target for orbital radar instruments.

"Since a significant amount of radar return is due to differences in surface roughness, they're probably testing ways of making the areas around planes 'bumpy' enough that the planes are partially masked," Hill said.

The close proximity of some of the test sites leads Hill to conclude that the area is some sort of military test zone which explains why there’s so much technology in an otherwise desolate area.

Permalink to story.

Isn't it funny that China's satellites are for spying, while US's satellites are for 'defense'?

Guest said:
Isn't it funny that China's satellites are for spying, while US's satellites are for 'defense'?

Defense could mean attacking the enemy after a strike. They could technically have weapons on them if they are for defense, but not if they are for spying.

@Win
Americans haven't been attacked by any foreign power in long long time, it always has been other way round i.e. Americans attacking others, sometimes with false accusations, sometimes with stupid excuses. Beside, I am sure every power do spy even on their friends just to 'know' things before hand.

And America has liberated several countries from oppression in it's history. Thank you for your anti-American sentiment though.

Though so-called "liberation" was limited to countries where they had interest. First phase was always liberating countries of their oil and natural resources :D

Though so-called "liberation" was limited to countries where they had interest. First phase was always liberating countries of their oil and natural resources :D

A fact which is often neglected by the most. Also, such adventures has resulted in monumental devastation of many nations, causing huge number of innocent people to die.

And America has liberated several countries from oppression in it's history. Thank you for your anti-American sentiment though.

You mean like how they liberated Iraq? You might want to watch something other than Fox/CNN for a different perspective

The Untied States has NEVER claimed any land, or has taken any natural resources of any Country they invaded.

We are not concquering these Countries, we are helping the people.

But I agree.. the next 50 years should be about the US Military helping and building America back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Though so-called "liberation" was limited to countries where they had interest. First phase was always liberating countries of their oil and natural resources

A fact which is often neglected by the most. Also, such adventures has resulted in monumental devastation of many nations, causing huge number of innocent people to die.

Christ!! Spare us all. The US went into Afghanistan (who ALLOWED the group to flourish and supported them...Them being Al Qaida). Afghanistan (then) did attack us. What did we do to "devestate" them??

Build roads, schools, and infrastructure...

As for Iraq...A valid argument, but still we are or trying to do the same.

Our mistake??? Trying to bring western style democracy and the love of Freedom to a bunch of fence-sitting goat herders....

You are right, the Arab world is not ready for this..

In 1998 I was in western China when the interest in "infrastructure" projects was great. It turns out that the real interest back then was in developing directed energy weapons and testing them effectively. According to some of my contacts (who may or may not have been truthful), the Soviets had been developing them to - get this - shoot down or otherwise disable unidentified aerial phenomena (e.g. UFOs) for their presumed advanced technology(!). The Chinese were allegedly also trying to duplicate some of the weather control technology ala the US HAARP. At the time I was completely incredulous that any of these seemingly educated and professional people could be uttering such ideas.

When I was back there in 2001, persons associated with the projects (whom I guessed to be probable party political officers) were alarmed and seemingly always scrambling about. I didn't understand at the time, but they seemed very disturbed that the majority of Americans believed the (now, to me) obviously bogus official conspiracy theory sold to the world on 9/11. They seemed to have found a renewed sense of outright urgency at "catching up". This seemed to suggest to them that further such events would occur in the near future.

In 2004 an earthquake caused massive tsunamis and eyewitnesses in the area of the quake center reported aurora borealis-like optical effects. The armed forces command in China were allegedly so concerned that they made it a primary mission to demonstrate to the US that they had convincing retaliation methodology culminating in the ballistic missile firing off the coast of Los Angeles in November 2010.

Back in the states I was embroiled in some personal/business matters directly related to 9/11 so was myopic about the official story thinking it could not be anything else. Since that time recounting my personal experiences and studying books such as Dr. Griffin's "The Mysterious
Collapse of 7 World Trade Center" and Dr. Wood's 'Where Did The Towers Go?' has given me better context into why the Chinese were behaving they way they were.

As of today, the ruling party of China thinks it is one of their utmost priorities to develop similar directed energy weapons (ala WTC which can render structural steel and concrete into dust particles finer than human red blood cells) and send personnel to the moon so that what they have come to believe is up there can be identified and brought back asap.

What the "truth" is, who really knows? But what goes on in the shadows of international politics is often stranger than fiction. Almost certainly anything we're shown by contemporary mainstream media is absolutely and utterly designed to be presented to us in that way.

Back