N00b with computer not starting issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I hate to join and then throw a question out there immediately, but I really need some help. My computer randomly shut off while I was working on it yesterday. It would turn back on a few minutes later, with the same issue occurring. I then realized the fan on the power supply was not turning, likely causing the computer to shut off on overheating. I have another similar emachine computer in my basement from my in-laws which I use for parts.

Well, I took the power supply from that one (which I found to be identical) and plugged it into mine. The fan on the CPU and fan on the power supply turned on immediately (which seems to indicate that the unit still thinks it is overheating).

Anyway, the fans never shut off, and the computer won't power up, even if i switch back to the old power supply which worked previously for a few minutes before overheating. I don't want to spend a lot of $ to get this thing working (it's about 3 yrs old), I just really want my data back.

Knowing nothing about computers, my guess is some sort of sensor went bad and now the computer thinks it is overheating and won't power up, even though that isn't the case. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Much appreciated.

Ray

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

This is just a guess.

I don`t think your problem is one of overheating.

The fans in the psu and on cpu are supposed to run all the time, so no worries there.

Unfortunately in my opinion, when the original psu died, it`s probably damaged the mobo(motherboard).

Other members might have other ideas.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

P.s I have moved your thread to a more appropriate forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back