TechSpot

NAS at 10GbE Speeds: QNAP TS-879 Pro & Synology DS3612xs Review

By Julio Franco
May 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Really nice review Steven. :)

That's some impressive results, even connected to a 1GB Ethernet network.
  2. What switch did you use to test the 10ge throughput? I have been looking for a decent 10 gig ethernet switch and they are all $10k and above.
  3. I would like to ask about RAID 5 and RAID 0. RAID 5 is usually on par with RAID 0 during reads, but on writes there should be a significant slowdown. Now, when using enterprise RAID cards that isn't the case because the parity is calculated on a chip dedicated to this. I assume the Synology is using linux software RAID 5 - no dedicated card - so why is it so fast? Perhaps the processor is totally dedicated to this and is up to the task?

Based on most/all previous testing I've seen on RAID 5 I would basically never implement linux software RAID5 for critical storage/applications, but would have no problems doing it based on the numbers here!
  4. Prices for 10G switches drops last year.
    For example, Cisco SG500X with 4 10G ports cost around $1000.
    Equal Zyxel switch cost even less.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.