TechSpot

National broadband outage caused by router bug

By Rick
Nov 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. A vast number of Time Warner Cable customers arose from bed this Monday morning to discover that their Internet connections were down. Other ISPs have been affected as well, but…

Read the whole story

2. And this is why we advise all of our customers to update everything as often as possible.

3. Blkm0nk3y92

Blkm0nk3y92 TS Member Posts: 69

Ironic they used twitter to tweet what was going on.

4. Juniper should make effort to sustain their good name in networking else another vendor could just kick their *** off the market...

5. man o man cisco will be all over this haha!

6. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 831   +18

I thought that too. They used an online service to inform people about an internet outage :p.

7. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 812   +26

You do realize that twitter works on cellphone data plans, right? :p

8. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

I was about to say the same thing. Zing!

9. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 831   +18

Yes I do. Still find it ironic.

10. Those dataplans still go through the internet to reach twitter's servers though, thus they too could have been affected :p.

11. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,342   +622

from the story
    This means far more ISPs were impacted than just Timewarner.
    You can see this (sometimes) with tracert $target$ where $target$ is some site you visit.
    If you see a name something like *-Level-3-*, then a Level 3 backbone node is in your path to the $target$.

It should be obvious that any outage in the Internet backbone will have a massive disruption.

12. nLayer's CEO contacted me last night to correct my information .... He described the issue as having a "minor impact" .... LOL ..that CEO is a talking tool! Minor impact my ***!