Near Future New Build

pw2much

I'm not sure if this the right forum since it's been upgraded. I am thinking of doing a new build of the AMD FM2+ and here is what I think that I want and I'm looking for any suggestions about this build in it's entirety. This is what I've picked at part pickers so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/oldguy55/saved/44ya , I'm not really a gamer, but I do a lot of video editing, converting, bluray/dvd recording and music cds. also keep in mind that I will probably be adding more hard drives to this build as my movie library is increasing.

Last edited:
Ok, so since you do a lot of video editing, I would make numerous changes:
1) I would go for an Intel platform rather than an AMD platform since Intel CPUs are dominant when it comes to video editing.
2) If you arent going to overclock the CPU much, I would tone down the cooler to something like a Hyper 212 Evo.
3) I would tone down the RAM to about 1600MHz since 2133MHz doesnt make much of a difference when video editing (or even gaming).
4) I would replace the Digital Black2 HDD/SSD combo with a pure SSD.
5) I would replace the AMD GPU with something more hefty and nVidia based. I say this because nVidia drivers are usually more consistent and nVidia GPUs are generally better for video editing. BUT, if you are working with programs such as Adobe CC, then I would stick with an AMD GPU (more powerful than a 250X) since Adobe products make use of OpenGL for the most part and AMD is dominant at that.
6) Case is your choice. I personally recommend Corsair cases.
7) The PSU can be toned down to a 750W (Corsair HX 750) possibly, but I wouldnt go any lower since you are hoping to add more HDDs.
8) I would find a Bluray reader and writer all in one rather than having 2.
9) There is really no advantage to having Windows 7 Ultimate over Professional or even Home Premium. Ultimate just really allows you to install language packs (there are some other features that arent really important).
10) You dont need a Wifi adapter as long as the motherboard supports Wifi, but it matters on the board. We can determine that once we figure out the specifics.
11) Keyboard looks fine. I personally recommend the Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 ($60) since you never have to replace the batteries and the keys are more tactile. But it is your choice.
12) That mouse is made for laptops, just so you are aware :).

Sorry for the long rant, but I want to get you the best rig possible :). I just need you to answer some questions first though, what programs do you use? How hardcore of a video editor are you (professional?)? Are the projects you work with in very high resolutions such as 4K? What is your price range for this machine? <--- this will help determine which CPU and GPU you can purchase (along with other parts).

I hope this helps.

-JC

Ok, so since you do a lot of video editing, I would make numerous changes:
1) I would go for an Intel platform rather than an AMD platform since Intel CPUs are dominant when it comes to video editing.
2) If you arent going to overclock the CPU much, I would tone down the cooler to something like a Hyper 212 Evo.
3) I would tone down the RAM to about 1600MHz since 2133MHz doesnt make much of a difference when video editing (or even gaming).
4) I would replace the Digital Black2 HDD/SSD combo with a pure SSD.
5) I would replace the AMD GPU with something more hefty and nVidia based. I say this because nVidia drivers are usually more consistent and nVidia GPUs are generally better for video editing. BUT, if you are working with programs such as Adobe CC, then I would stick with an AMD GPU (more powerful than a 250X) since Adobe products make use of OpenGL for the most part and AMD is dominant at that.
6) Case is your choice. I personally recommend Corsair cases.
7) The PSU can be toned down to a 750W (Corsair HX 750) possibly, but I wouldnt go any lower since you are hoping to add more HDDs.
8) I would find a Bluray reader and writer all in one rather than having 2.
9) There is really no advantage to having Windows 7 Ultimate over Professional or even Home Premium. Ultimate just really allows you to install language packs (there are some other features that arent really important).
10) You dont need a Wifi adapter as long as the motherboard supports Wifi, but it matters on the board. We can determine that once we figure out the specifics.
11) Keyboard looks fine. I personally recommend the Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 ($60) since you never have to replace the batteries and the keys are more tactile. But it is your choice.
12) That mouse is made for laptops, just so you are aware :).

Sorry for the long rant, but I want to get you the best rig possible :). I just need you to answer some questions first though, what programs do you use? How hardcore of a video editor are you (professional?)? Are the projects you work with in very high resolutions such as 4K? What is your price range for this machine? <--- this will help determine which CPU and GPU you can purchase (along with other parts).

I hope this helps.

-JC
Ok! First of all I really want to build this FM2+ build so lets get that out of the way, I don't want Intel! but I thank you for that. Second I'm not professional yet!!! but I want to get there someday. I picked that cpu cooler becase of the clearance it has from the ram in case the ram sticks are of the tall type, this cooler is built to not be a burden in that respect.Now on the Gpu can you suggest a Gpu compatable with the cpu and motherboard that I have picked? As far as the SSD/HHD I did some research on it and I would like to try it but if it doesn't work well then I will revert to separate drives, I agree with you on the PSU but I wasn't sure because of the extra drives that I might install. AS for the Wifi I already have the Netgear R6200 (802.11ac) router on my network with three other computers, two of which I plan to sell. The computer that I plan to keep of these three computers will have Ultimate on it too! As for the Bluray writer and reader that choice was because of my research on the ones that I've picked and the reviews on them as for as their reported length of survival which seems to be short lived! They may be wrong IDK. But if I have the two I won't over use the burner too quickly this way. And for the Monitor I plan to use a led lcd 1080p TV, no 4K as the price for one is still to high! Now I plan to purchase the cpu, motherboard, psu and ram first as to be able to test them before completing the build in case there are any RMAs and to make sure they work. I'm pretty set on this build but there is always room for someone else's opinion and I thank you for your feedback on this.

Last edited:
Ok! First of all I really want to build this FM2+ build so lets get that out of the way, I don't want Intel! but I thank you for that. Second I'm not professional yet!!! but I want to get there someday. I picked that cpu cooler becase of the clearance it has from the ram in case the ram sticks are of the tall type, this cooler is built to not be a burden in that respect.Now on the Gpu can you suggest a Gpu compatable with the cpu and motherboard that I have picked? As far as the SSD/HHD I did some research on it and I would like to try it but if it doesn't work well then I will revert to separate drives, I agree with you on the PSU but I wasn't sure because of the extra drives that I might install. AS for the Wifi I already have the Netgear R6200 (802.11ac) router on my network with three other computers, two of which I plan to sell. The computer that I plan to keep of these three computers will have Ultimate on it too! As for the Bluray writer and reader that choice was because of my research on the ones that I've picked and the reviews on them as for as their reported length of survival which seems to be short lived! They may be wrong IDK. But if I have the two I won't over use the burner too quickly this way. And for the Monitor I plan to use a led lcd 1080p TV, no 4K as the price for one is still to high! Now I plan to purchase the cpu, motherboard, psu and ram first as to be able to test them before completing the build in case there are any RMAs and to make sure they work. I'm pretty set on this build but there is always room for someone else's opinion and I thank you for your feedback on this.
Might I ask why you want FM2+? The only reason I ask is because if you really wanna go AMD and video edit, go for a AM3+ FX-9590 kit because its actually quite good with video editing because of all the threads even compared to the i7 quads.

As far as ram goes, only on an APU would I recommend 2133mhz and only if your using the on board GPU.

The PSU is way overkill, get like a 550Watt Gold if you want something fancy and very high quality.

The cooler you chose in my book is very mediocre, I would recommend for the money spending a slight bit extra on a AIO Liquid Cooling solution over that or a Hyper 212 because that cooler was very mediocre by my standards when I compared it to a better priced Hyper 212.

I see that Hybrid drive selection, I might recommend a better option that your choices on that especially for video editing. I would say go for the 10000 RPM WD VelociRaptors drives (The 1tb is on shell shocker today only!!!), the reason I say this is because:
1: An SSD unless at a high enterprise grade level will deteriorate fast in a video editing machine.
2: The hybrid drive won't benefit much on video editing because it detects what your using and adjusts the hybrid SSD to do those tasks. Video editing is always changing writing and takes up a ton of space rendering which would not help you.
3: Buy like 2 or 3, run raid, win in speed and performance. Those are high grade HDD's.

Get a R7 265 for video editing, would benefit you much more than a Hybrid CFX setup for Open CL Boosting.

Try these ideas out and see what you think.

If you really want AMD, I would recommend the 8350. The A10 may struggle a bit when rendering.

Might I ask why you want FM2+? The only reason I ask is because if you really wanna go AMD and video edit, go for a AM3+ FX-9590 kit because its actually quite good with video editing because of all the threads even compared to the i7 quads.
+1

As far as ram goes, only on an APU would I recommend 2133mhz and only if your using the on board GPU.

The PSU is way overkill, get like a 550Watt Gold if you want something fancy and very high quality.

The cooler you chose in my book is very mediocre, I would recommend for the money spending a slight bit extra on a AIO Liquid Cooling solution over that or a Hyper 212 because that cooler was very mediocre by my standards when I compared it to a better priced Hyper 212.

I see that Hybrid drive selection, I might recommend a better option that your choices on that especially for video editing. I would say go for the 10000 RPM WD VelociRaptors drives (The 1tb is on shell shocker today only!!!), the reason I say this is because:
1: An SSD unless at a high enterprise grade level will deteriorate fast in a video editing machine.
2: The hybrid drive won't benefit much on video editing because it detects what your using and adjusts the hybrid SSD to do those tasks. Video editing is always changing writing and takes up a ton of space rendering which would not help you.
3: Buy like 2 or 3, run raid, win in speed and performance. Those are high grade HDD's.

Get a R7 265 for video editing, would benefit you much more than a Hybrid CFX setup for Open CL Boosting.

Try these ideas out and see what you think.
Yeah, this is a good backup to what I said before. I dont recommend the 10000 RPM WD since they are said to fail more often, and that is not what you want when video editing. I disagree in regards to the PSU though. He plans on adding HDDs and those eat up power so I would stick with 750W just to be safe.

As for your GPU suggestion (R7 265), that is an ok option, but the dual GPU thing is way too gimicky to base a build off of. I would recommend a 750Ti or R7 265 for that $150-$180 category. Otherwise I would just go for a GTX760 or up or a AMD 7800 or up. I personally recommend nVidia for video editing, but if you are using After Effects pw2much, I would go with AMD.

I have a question? will the R7 250X pair up with the A10-7850K for dual graphics??? I know the 250 will but will the 250X do it?

I have a question? will the R7 250X pair up with the A10-7850K for dual graphics??? I know the 250 will but will the 250X do it?
I really wouldnt worry about dual graphics. It is so gimmicky and provides such a small improvement it isnt worth it. Check out the synthetic benchmarking performance >>here<<. If I were you, I would take a more powerful GPU anyday over the gimmicky dual graphics compatible weaker GPUs. It is your choice in the end though.

Ok Guys! So everyone thinks Intel is better than AMD huh! So I'm going to also build my first ever Intel system, but after the FM2+ so here is what I've pick out so far at Partpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/oldguy55/saved/ , now I really need your opinions because this is my first intel. Let keep in mind that I always build a system that will last and can be upgraded a couple of years down the line without being outdated.so take a look. By the way I just have to say Intel is expensive woooow! I changed the link to the build so it should go straight ti it.

Last edited:
Now that is a good build. Maybe wait for next gen GPUs though since you are already building an FM2 system for now.

Back