Mar 15, 2002
  1. Nearly all in one mobo from ABIT

Check the mobo from this news article:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1016059661

A little bit info on the mobo:

A bit overkill don't you think?

2. svtcobra

svtcobra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 875

If it had 2 more PCI slots I would probably buy one. The USB 2.0 and the Firewire are very nice additions. I also like the integrated NIC.

I dont think its overkill. In todays market it may actually do quite well.

3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

Sounds fully featured. I think a lot of users would use all of that.
    But it is a little limited in the PCI stakes. Network card, sound card, modem, .... oops all gone :(

4. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,245

I agree, with all there is out there its alittle short on PIC's. It would be nice to have 5.

5. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Posts: 868

I must also agree with you guys. I was really excited about this new series until I saw that it only had 3 PCI slots. I already have a sound card, network card, and modem so what if I would like to put in a raid controller card or something like that. Too bad!

I think I'll wait and see what Abit does about this, because I'm sure they'll get many complaints about it.

6. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 773

I guess 3 PCI slots should be fine since most of the stuff are already in there i.e. integrated sound, RAID, network card. That would usually take up 3 additional PCI slots. The least used feature would be the integrated sound IMO.

Don't even need an PCI slot for the USB2.0 and firewire interfaces. With all that, the 3 PCI slots should be sufficient for let's say a modem, TV capture card and uhh... PCI vid card?

Hope I didn't miss anything :D

7. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Posts: 868

I guess your right. The more I look into the new Abit board the more intrigued I am by it. If it is compatible with the new Clawhammers I might have to try it out!!!

8. boeingfixer

I don't think it will Super. According to stories and pic's I saw 2 weeks ago, Clawhammer is going to be like 754 pins and Sledgehammer is gonna be like 940 pins....yes 940, let me tell you, that is a ton of pins!!!

9. lokem

Unless they can simply change the socket and be on their way to produce the mobos (like what they did from the KT266 -> KT266A chipset), but guess that's VERY unlikely.

10. boeingfixer

I am just guessing here Lokum but with that many more pins, I would think they would have to redo all the trace routes too along with the new technology Hammer is suppose to have. But alas, sign me up....I'll try one when they come out...if the price is not out the roof.

11. Arris

Socket A on future Athlon processors

From that thread :
    First viewing of Hammer CPUS at Intel Developer Forum
    I think we can safely say that the Hammers won't be making use of Socket A motherboards...

12. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 645

4-channel raid? What's the use, especially if 'everyone will need firewire.' That means that there compatibility for 8+ hard drives! 8 hard drives, a cdrom, burner, floppy drives, zip drives...i'd like to find a power supply that can handle all that... When i first looked at it i immediately noticed that it had only 3 pci slots, which isn't such a bad thing when EVERYTHING is on-board, lol, there will be no need for more than 1!

13. boeingfixer

Unless I read that wrong, its 4 channel for a total of 4 drives, or 2 channel/4 drives.

14. lokem

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't 1 channel capable of supporting 2 drives? Something like IDE?

15. boeingfixer

Yes Lokum, 1 channel= 2 drives, I was trying to find out if I said 4 channels or 2 in an earlier post, I can't find where the person above me got 4 channels and 8 drives unless my typing exceeded my thinking and I typed it wrong. Anyway, yes that has alway been my understanding, 1 channel=2 devices.

16. lokem

Heh... Thanks for clearing that up coz I'm not familiar with RAID stuff.

17. Arris

Anandtech - CeBIT 2002 Part 2 : ABIT AT7

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.