TechSpot

Need a business router

By strategic
Feb 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi there, I just wanted to ask all you guys out there if you can recommend a router (for a business) for me. We are currently using a Dlink DIR-628, and doesn't seem to handle things anymore. It would need to handle about 20 computers, and about 10 smartphones, along with FTRP server.
    Any thoughts appreciated.

2. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,020

Ok, so I've done some searching and came up with the following dlink routers:

DIR-825 Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router
    DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router
    DIR-855 Xtreme N Duo Media Router
    Or maybe anything better?
    Please let me know...

3. Eigfrost

Eigfrost TS Rookie Posts: 21

There's a review of the DIR-825 here, if it's of any use to you - it gets a 'recommended' award.

The reviewer comments that it's a well featured router, and capable of decent speeds, which fall away a bit come the 20m mark (and a couple of walls!).

4. spiderman1957

spiderman1957 TS Rookie Posts: 16

Router

D-link I Believe is the way to go. Stay away from Belkin not very good experience with that brand.
    Good luck!:wave:

5. strategic

@Eigfrost, thanks for the input, I'll be picking one of these units up tonight and give it a try.
    I've seen a few good reviews on it aside from the link you provided, so it's worth a try.

@spiderman1957, you're right. I would never go for anything other than Dlink or Cisco for a router.

6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +107

[​IMG]

Photo: On top is Trendnet TEW-691GR Wireless 802.11a/b/g/n N450 Gig 10/100/1000mbps Router, Under that is Trendnet Rack Mount type 16-port Gigabit Business Class Switch with 2MB Packet Buffer Memory under that is Trendnet Rack Mounted type 16-port Megabit Business Class Switch with 1.25MB Packet Buffer Memory.

I might add the Trendnet TEW-691GR, WNPU 500MHz, 64KB I/D 32KB, 512KB Packet Memory Buffer, 64MB DDR2 of RAM, WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n TX: N450 / RX: N450, MSC = Max Session Connections (non-blocking port speed) 14,000. I use this right now.

[​IMG]

7. Eigfrost

Eigfrost TS Rookie Posts: 21

Cool... let us know how you get on.

8. nissanman

nissanman TS Maniac Posts: 247

Ive been hearing good things about Cisco. Alot of Dlinks newer products are good aswell. But like spiderman1957 said. Stay away from Belkin. I have one, it constantly drops out and im about ready to break it.

9. strategic

Thanks for your help everyone. Sorry it took so long to return, I've have been away sick and just getting back in the game. I will bring your suggestions to the chief and hopefully get somewhere.
    Personally for myself, I prefer Linksys (Cisco). I have found the quickest to setup and reliable. Just purchased a Netgear router for myself at home, and returned it as my my current router was much better. Tried a Cicso E3000 and was great, the only problem is it quit on me just after I finished setting up all the PC's and phones (perfect timing) so that went back too. The only issue was getting my netbook to access the internet, but that's another topic I will start maybe tomorrow.
    @Tipster, that setup is quite impressive, we currently have something similar now, only all components are d-link and with 1 16-port switch.

10. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

hmm; Business systems typically use a router at the gateway to the ISP and switches everywhere else as they require no configuration.

Instead of using the router DHCP, business systems (which typically have a Domain Controller [DC] environment) use their own instances of DHCP and DNS. A small mom-n-pop business may also just as well not implement the DC for cost and simplicity.

11. strategic

Yes Jobeard, as I interpret it, you are describing the picture that Tipstir posted earlier, which is similar, but larger than what we have.

12. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

That's correct - - I was generalizing the concepts for (hopefully) clarity as all the specs could obscure the ideas.