Need a good encoding program ^^

By N-Guy
Jun 8, 2006
  1. I taped both of my sisters' graduating ceremonies in the last 2 months and I still have a previous vacation to encode as well. All from a Sony MiniDV Camera, what's the best software I can use to get the BEST resolution & quality? I know codecs are probably required as well.

I'm not worried how much the software will cost either, miniDV tapes seems to be expensive around here, I rather pay enough for an encoding software and be able to re-use the tapes.

I was using Windows Movie Maker before that came with Windows and damn, that's horrible stuff.
  2. URANium238

URANium238 TS Rookie Posts: 32

Do you want to just encode the video, or do you want to make transitions, effects, etc.?

VirtualDub is a free and great utility for the first variant, but I don't know if it supports DV format (guess not). Didn't you get some software with your camera?

Edit: VirtualDub does support capturing video from camera's so you can use it. For the codec, I suggest xVid (just configure it well)
  3. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

or if you want full pro gear that costs a fair bit, use Adobe Premier...

some dvd burning software also come with their own video encoder software such as nero vision/recode etc..

mini dv tapes expensive? $5-10 for a 60minute tape.. maybe you need to get anohter supplier....
  4. N-Guy

N-Guy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 105

Oh, I didn't know it worked for the Digital Camera, thanks. And yeah I just want to encode, it's just to get everything off of the tapes. No special effects are necessary.

LOL Probably, plus getting it on computer is better since I could easily just burn copies for other relatives.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.