Need a little advice on what to upgrade for my gaming rig

By Demonsoul
Nov 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I built my system over a year ago and was limited to a budget but the result was fantastic for my purposes at the time. I know that this isn't the best system in the world but I am trying to figure out what I should focus on upgrading first... I have had some FPS issues in new games like GW2, Planetside 2 and even Firefall. I'll post the CPU-Z image of certain components and please tell me what you think needs help.
    ram2.jpg ram1.jpg
    I do have concerns about the RAM. It came out of a prebuilt HP PC and not something I bought new. I doubt that 8GB of DDR 3 is too little but it it maybe just low performance RAM? If this is possibly the issue what should I be looking at for replacement?
    Quadcore i7 860... wouldn't imagine this being an issue but let me know what you think!
    ^ My motherboard.
    This was my first suspect however everything I have been able to find about my card is telling me that the card isn't outdated and should perform well.
    Anyway I thank anyone who can offer advise in advance! If you need more information about my rig or anything else feel free to ask and I'll respond ASAP. I haven't been reading up on components or really keeping up on that sort of stuff for some time so it puts me at a disadvantage when I try to research upgrades.
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,526   +830

Ram is standard speed pretty much...CPU should be fine...I honestly dont know. Planetside 2 requires quite a PC as far as I have played...might be your graphics card at this point although its honestly not awful..CPU shouldnt be a bottleneck, as far as I know.
  3. Demonsoul

Demonsoul TS Member Topic Starter

OK, thanks for the response! Maybe I should look into adding another 5870... I've been comparing cards on and if this site is accurate at all then I would need to go way up past what I was hoping to spend just to get a significant upgrade x.x. I would LOVE a gtx 690 tho!
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,526   +830

I would NOT recommend using hw compare. They do not test cards in any way they just take numbers and throw them on a chart not taking into account architectures and the like. Can anyone else confirm if its normal for a 5870 to run at 400MHz? or is that just at idle? O.o

But seriously HW compare says that a 5970 is better than a 7970. which simply isnt true.
    To run planetside 2, which is a pretty CPU heavy game (I know, tried it on my laptop, almost died) your CPU should be fine, and 8GB of ram is plenty. Perhaps it is your video card...but I don't know, I would wait for others to confirm this
  5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,706   +170

Try overclocking your CPU, those games are quite CPU heavy. It looks like you're running at the default clocks (with a very high voltage for that speed) so you should be able to get a 1Ghz bump with a cheap aftermarket cooler.
  6. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

Seems you have enough ram. You must have your power setting configured to "balanced," or "power saver" in windows control panel. Its making your cpu throttle down. That's not a bad thing. but I would definately suggest a bit of overclocking on the cpu. You also need to consider the resolution you'll be gaming at.
  7. Demonsoul

Demonsoul TS Member Topic Starter

Ok all good advise :) I will certainly look into clocking the cpu and getting a cooler for it before I buy anything.

You are correct on that. Also wasn't running anything other that firefox when I took the SS. Maybe should have had something going to give better numbers? I don't know I'm kinda out of the loop with this stuff now... been a while since I have done any building or upgrades.