Need a new GPU, should I wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodman

My 6800gt burned out and I've been looking for a new one. I was thinking the EVGA 9600GT 1gb 256-bit ddr3 but I'm not too sure. Anyway, here are my specs:

mobo: Intel Extreme Series desktop board D975XBX2
CPU: Intel quad core Q6600 @ 2.40
Ram: 3.25gb
600watt PSU

I want to really have a strong gaming rig, being able to play almost anything on high with good frame rate would be spectacular. Idk if what I chose above would be the right choice so I'm asking the wizards here to help me find a good card. My price range is anything up to $500 but if you can get something for less than 300 or possibly even 200 would be awesome. Thanks guys!

$500 budget, you get a Nvidia GX280 and maybe even a 4870X2 for under $550.
Both those will likely be very big cards and run hot though, do some research.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130365
^GX280 would be my pick for a GX280.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102795
^4870 (regular) X2 is probably overkill and check reviews, demands a lot of power that 600 might not handle, and drivers are questionable possibly atm.

Look into 3rd party cooler and use arctic silver 5 paste if you go that route. 8)

I put a 3rd party cooler on my 7950GT called Iceberg6 and indeed it worked wonders, though I replaced it with a 8800GTS-512 and am still very happy with it, here it is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143119
I paid $50+ more when I bought it, it's $180 and has a $30 rebate, which BFG honored on mine, too.
It doesn't run extremely hot either, isn't HUGE, which is partially why I opted for it, but it does take up two slots on some motherboards, but it's fan sucks out air, from it's extra slot, which is a feature I consider important now on these high end card, 1 slot cards will heat your case up, non-issue in my case, because the PCI-Express 16 slot is not directly next to the other PCI slots.

You will be pleased performance wise, all big step up from 6800GT, if you play any MMO, you'll be loving it!
The 9600GT is lower end, but if really on a budget, it's OK.

What kind of PSU do you have? Post the name and brand.

Also, what card is best for you depends on what monitor you have. For resolutions upto 1680x1050, the HD 4850 is an excellent choice. For anything above that and below 1920x1200, the HD 4870 and GTX 260 are great. Anything above that, and you'd be looking at the GTX 280 and the HD 4870 X2, the latter being the fastest (and the most expensive) card on the market right now.

What kind of PSU do you have? Post the name and brand.

Also, what card is best for you depends on what monitor you have. For resolutions upto 1680x1050, the HD 4850 is an excellent choice. For anything above that and below 1920x1200, the HD 4870 and GTX 260 are great. Anything above that, and you'd be looking at the GTX 280 and the HD 4870 X2, the latter being the fastest (and the most expensive) card on the market right now.

I have an Ultra 600 watt power supply

my monitor is 1280x1024. So, what you're saying is that I have to base the card around what I have already, but really my goal is to update everything, even the monitor.

Then go with whatever card "matches" the monitor you intend to buy.

Also, I recommend changing your PSU as well. The build quality is only average and it is not recommended for a high-end gaming rig.

Then go with whatever card "matches" the monitor you intend to buy.

Also, I recommend changing your PSU as well. The build quality is only average and it is not recommended for a high-end gaming rig.

Can I ask why the PSU is only average? I know I wasn't looking for an over-the-top psu at the time but just to educate myself why isn't it good enough?

The build quality isn't that great. Too much solder mainly and usage of Teapo capacitors for the primary and secondary sides (they have a very bad reputation of failing without any warning or any signs of failure on the outside). Andyson is the only OEM I've seen who uses them for the entire PSU. At least a primary Hitachi or Rubycon cap would be a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back