Need a New Graphics Card for a Compaq Presario SR5113WM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have a Compaq Presario SR5113WM which was bought from Wal-Mart for a relatively low price. It's a pretty low-end computer so I really need a new graphics card for it. I know if I got one it would probably require getting a new PSU also, so does anyone have any suggestions on a good graphics card that would be compatible with my computer? Games I'm looking to play would be Counter-Strike: Source, TF2, L4D, Killing Floor, etc..Most valve games. Thank you in advance for any help. Nothing extremely graphics heavy like Crysis or Unreal Tourney 3

Processor- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ 1.90GHz
Ram- 1GB
32 Bit OS

Okay, thank you very much for the reply and I'll definitely be considering what you posted. Also, do you think more RAM would help since I only have 1GB?

Lol thought of another question :O, do you think my comp could handle anything more powerful than the 4770?

HI Genisis,
another 1gb of ram will help, check your motherboard for dual channel capability. if it does have dual channel capability, make sure you match the second ram module with the one that's currently installed. running ram in dual channel will usually give you a 10-15% performance boost. as for the GPU, the 4770 is a great card, there are more powerful ones but you will probably be cpu bound if you get more than that.it also depends on what resolution you want to use. hoped that helped :)

Processor- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ 1.90GHz
Actually 4770 might even be a bit high for your relatively outdated processor, but th reason I mentioned the 4770 is because it has one of the highest bang for the buck, and comes at a very popular price point.

Since RAM is so cheep now, throwing in 4gb wouldn't be a horrible idea either.

Nothing extremely graphics heavy like Crysis or Unreal Tourney 3
Just as a point of reference, i'm sure the 4770 could handle unreal Tournament 3, and Crysis on very high settings, with AA off and resolution below 1024 x 768.

check your motherboard
And yes, as red1776 mentioned mere seconds before me, you will have to check up your motherboard on the RAM, and actually the PCI-e slot too.

All right thanks for the help guys. I'll check if it has dual channel capacity and try to get back to you :)

*edit* I won't be able to open up my computer til about mid next week but I found this website and it says my computer has a max of 4MB of memory, and is dual channel compatible. Is this reliable? It has my graphics card specs right so I'm assuming it has the RAM information correct also.http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/compatible-memory-for/HP+-+Compaq/Presario+SR5113WM/list.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back