TechSpot

Need a new video card

By iamaphoenix
Dec 18, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. ok first off, since cataclysm for wow came out, the requirements were boosted a bit and i NEED a new card to avoid video lag. my friend told me to check out sapphire, but i was wondering which ones can handle ultra or near ultra settings with at least 30 fps.. =) id like to spend the least possible amount for this lol. so any help is appreciated

2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

Hi lama,
    you need to provide more information such as:
    1.Computer specs
    2 power supply specs
    3.resolution you play at
    4. budget
    5. is DX11 a feature you want/need?
    6. are you using PCIE or an older AGP interface?

3. iamaphoenix

iamaphoenix TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 53

wow thanks i completly forgot about that =)
    1) stock dell inspiron 530 desktip

2) 410 watts, at least 400 for sure, i rarely use 40% whilst gaming

3) 1440x900 ws

4) preferably under 60-70 (no stretching, and i know the 5750 will play ultra with 60-70fps at minimum, but 120 is too much)(but what can play ultra with like 30 fps with that price ceiling)

5) i dont NEED dx11, but it might be awesome, ill have to check it out, but im fine with 9, and what does 11 do to make it so much better??

6) oh noes lol, i definatly have a pcie slot (only 1 tho)

and again, id prefer to get "only" a sapphire as ive had good dealings with them, and i know they make a good card

4. red1776

so your budget is $60-$70?

5. iamaphoenix

yeah lol, i know its low, but i know you can, theres the nvidia gtx 460 for like 65 on newegg (i think) but i like sapphire more lol

and ultra might be a reach, but right now with onboard intel g33/31 express, im gettign like 15 fps, with tons of video lag, with everything on LOW

6. red1776

7. iamaphoenix

lol i guess i shouldnt be too picky and ont he 460 note, i couldnt find it in my history >=( so i guess i misread something...

yeah that looks to be a good card, and considering there are some settigns i dont want maxxed i guess itd be a good card. thanks a ton for your help red, im gonna do a little research on it, and probably get it, barring any tradegies with it

8. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

I think your OEM PSU is going to struggle to power a GTX460. I'd also be surprised if you have a 400w PSU as well. My Dell Vostro 420 (pretty sure its a business version of your spec) only had a 300w PSU. Even my brothers XPS with a i7 core 920 runs a 350w PSU!

Can you remove the cover and confirm you definitely have a 400w PSU (if you haven't already). Also, do you have PCI Express GPU power connectors? You'll be needing those on higher end GPUs.

I ran my HD4670 perfectly fine on my 300w PSU (click my system specs above).

9. iamaphoenix

yeah your right its not a 400, hmm i should start reading and stop assuming lmao, but its a 350, which is plenty for the 4670. and no the 460 is out of the picture lol

and tbh, im not sure how to check for the connectors

10. Leeky

The connector will be marked PCI-EX on the Dell PSU if it has one. Its a 6 pin power connector, two rows high, 3 pins across each row.

You can replace the PSU easy enough, but I'd recommend you purchase a modular PSU for ease of fitment when it comes to the wiring side of things.

A HD4670 or similar will also be fine with your PSU, and will not require a dedicated power connector in order to function.

11. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

I'd agree with Red & Leeky, the best option for your price range would be a 4670. And at a 1440x900 resolution you should be good, I personally used one in my old system and was very happy with it. I'd say with some tweaking you could easily achieve solid framerates at a highish setting unless whatever new raids World of Warcraft has is extremely demanding (AoE,Movement,etc). Here is a great Cataclysm performance guide that I recommend you check out. Regarding your stock Inspiron 530 I do hope it was a 2GB RAM variety.

12. iamaphoenix

ok thanks for the explanation leek, i dont see any connectors, but with the 4670 im not gonna worry about it, and to answer you relic, its actually an 8 gig system, i got a printer, moniter, and tower in one package, and i decided to spend an extra 30 bucks i think to upgrade from 2 > 6 gigs of ddr2 ram =). tbh tho its really only 5, vista 64 takes like 1.1 to run, and after a video card, im saving for a copy of W7, so winter job ftw =)

and thanks again for the help, having people who know a lot about this recommending the same thing makes me feel better about spending my money

13. Leeky

A HD4670 will be a wise choice, its a good budget midrange card and the very one I currently use.

Even Crysis and Crysis Warhead are fine with this card, as long as you accept that 1440x900 at medium settings is about as far as you dare push it to maintain playability. WoW should be absolutely fine at these settings, or even higher maybe.

14. rockyjohns

rockyjohns TS Rookie Posts: 80

For $65, I would go with this HD5570 over the HD4670:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150474&cm_re=hd_5570-_-14-150-474-_-Product

It is about even with the HD4670 in most games - a little ahead in some and a little behind in others, but has the latest in technology from ATI include DirectX 11. This chart shows comparison in games:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...tml?prod[4539]=on&prod[4611]=on&prod[4587]=on

Besides knocking heads with the HD 4670 in games, this card, not just the model but the XFX HD 5570 video card is recommended at its price point for non-gaming use at this site:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/nongaming.html

It comes with a display port as well as HDMI and DVI and has a lifetime warranty.