TechSpot

Need advice cleaning a pc...

By wolfram
Aug 31, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello!

I've been having problems with another machine I have around here. It's an old 600MHZ Dell PC, and it's having some problems with viruses, trojans, and "backdoors"

My cousin tells me that the PC shuts down automatically in 1 or 45 seconds. The PC has AVG antivirus fully loaded and updated. I did a scan, and it reported almost 9 infection, which are now stored in the "virus vault". Some are dialers, "backdoors", trojan, and viruses.

I followed the instructions, and here are the attachments.

Thanks a lot!
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

That HJT log is clean.

Go into the AVG virus vault and delete whatever is there.

Your cousin is running a completely unpatched version of Windows. Run Windows updates and install at least service pack 1 and preferably service pack 2.

I also noticed, there isn`t any firewall software installed. I suggest your cousin gets some asap.

Regards Howard :)
  3. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 2,605   +9

Thanks Howard!

Thank you for your valuable response! :)

Now the virus vault is empty. And yes, I will install SP2 on this machine. Perhaps that was the worst error.

BTW, isn't AVG Free edition a firewall software?
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

No, AVG free is antivirus software only. either the free Zonealarm or the free Kerio firewall programmes would be a good choice. You can get them HERE and HERE.

Regards Howard :)
  5. wolfram

Thank you a lot for your valuable input Mr. Howard :)

I have installed SP2, (it took almost 1 hour), had to reinstall AVG (got corrupted), and I will install Zone Alarm.

I will let you know if something gets wrong again.

Thank you a lot Howard :)

If you had a bank account, I'm sure I'd pay you some bucks :)
  6. maniac_lonestar

maniac_lonestar TS Rookie Posts: 129

Hmmm, if you want to clean your computer, get a sponge and a few sprinkle of water on it Then scrub baby scrub!!!
  7. wolfram

LOL :haha: :haha:

Maybe that title wasn't the best...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.