Need advice cleaning a pc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hello!

I've been having problems with another machine I have around here. It's an old 600MHZ Dell PC, and it's having some problems with viruses, trojans, and "backdoors"

My cousin tells me that the PC shuts down automatically in 1 or 45 seconds. The PC has AVG antivirus fully loaded and updated. I did a scan, and it reported almost 9 infection, which are now stored in the "virus vault". Some are dialers, "backdoors", trojan, and viruses.

I followed the instructions, and here are the attachments.

Thanks a lot!

That HJT log is clean.

Go into the AVG virus vault and delete whatever is there.

Your cousin is running a completely unpatched version of Windows. Run Windows updates and install at least service pack 1 and preferably service pack 2.

I also noticed, there isn`t any firewall software installed. I suggest your cousin gets some asap.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks Howard!

Thank you for your valuable response! :)

Now the virus vault is empty. And yes, I will install SP2 on this machine. Perhaps that was the worst error.

BTW, isn't AVG Free edition a firewall software?

No, AVG free is antivirus software only. either the free Zonealarm or the free Kerio firewall programmes would be a good choice. You can get them HERE and HERE.

Regards Howard :)

Thank you a lot for your valuable input Mr. Howard :)

I have installed SP2, (it took almost 1 hour), had to reinstall AVG (got corrupted), and I will install Zone Alarm.

I will let you know if something gets wrong again.

Thank you a lot Howard :)

If you had a bank account, I'm sure I'd pay you some bucks :)

maniac_lonestar said:
Hmmm, if you want to clean your computer, get a sponge and a few sprinkle of water on it Then scrub baby scrub!!!

LOL :haha: :haha:

Maybe that title wasn't the best...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back