TechSpot

Need advice on buying a low footprint systems

By Cryo
May 8, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alright well at the moment I have a Dell laptop (see signature for specs) that I bought a little under a year ago. I love the thing but at the moment I've been thinking about selling off the Dell laptop and using the funds to purchase a low profile PC as well as an iBook (which i kinda need for the lab). I would like to get a machine that is as low profile as possible preferably with a thin LCD monitor as well. I do some gaming as well as photo and video editing so I'll need something that can handle a decient workload. Ideally I would like to get something name brand since I just don't have the time or focus to deal with piecing together a machine right now. the problem is that I would like to spend about $800 on it. I checked the Dell website who i like to do busniess with but they didn't seem to have any small profile machines.

If anyone has any idea for low profile machines that I could look at I would really appreciate it.

On a side note if anyone has any thoughts on if/when the prices of apples iBooks will be coming down please let me know, last time I looked they were about $800 for the one that i wanted, pretty much minimum specs plus the airport card, now however they're like $1000, which is way more than I want to spend.
  2. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

I'm not sure you could sell your system and purchase a PC + another laptop with those funds. Seems near impossible to do, unless one of those systems is very old and slow.
  3. Cryo

Cryo TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 52

well i don't think it's going to be an even sell/purchase. I figured that I'd be able to sell the laptop for about ~$1350 (the same specs were $1600+ on the dell website before they went to these new versions. Then the iBook would be about $900-1000 and the PC ~$800...
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

At least Shuttle makes tiny but powerful PCs.
  5. Cryo

Cryo TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 52

I had completly forgotten about those systems :) When I built my multimedia box I was looking at those but at the time they were a lot more powerful than what i needed. The box I ended up making actually looks VERY similar to the shuttle systems :) You guys rock!!

Ok so here's the big question now, I'll read some reviews but you guys have always had good things to say...
    Do I go for the AMD/NForce2 version or the "plain" P4? what are the opinions?
  6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

7. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 837

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.