Need advice on improving FPS

By bennyr
Apr 13, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HI

I have an older PC and would like to improve the FPS performance and have been debating upgrading my whole system or just buying a new PSU and graphics card/ram. Im not really a 'gamer' but would like to run some titles on medium to low settings without it lagging so much.

Specs:

AMD athlon 64 x2 Dual core 5200+
    2 GB RAM
    Abit AN-M2HD mobo
    Integrated Nvidia GEforce7050 PV/ Nvidia nforce 630a

The mobo has a PCI express slot but i read somewhere it can be tricky having a separate graphics card on a system with integrated graphics?

Any advice would greatly appreciated

Bennyr
  2. Punkid

Punkid TechSpot Maniac Posts: 540

dude u heard totally wrong, each and every mobo has an integrated graphics solution....just hook up a good graphics card to ur system and ur FPS would be flying like cows :D
  3. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

It would be best to add a GPU along with an appropriate PSU if you're simply interested in playing games in low / medium settings. Could you please give your budget for the upgrade? Also, which games do you intend to play?
  4. bennyr

bennyr Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanx for your replies

I play mainly driving games Rfactor and Race 07 sometimes FPS as well nothing heavy like crysis though.

I am in the UK and was looking to spend about 80 pounds sterling on a GPU that would get a Geforce GT9800 1GB or similar over here and Im guessing I would need a 500 or 550 watt PSU thats another 65 pounds or so.

Am I right to think PCI express route?

Cheers

Bennyr
  5. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,126

6. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

Since you won't be playing any demanding games I feel that dustin has posted some excellent choices.
  7. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +64

Thats not true. lots of them do not have integrated graphics, including mine. go here and there are 220 of them on the intel section of Newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=
  8. Punkid

Punkid TechSpot Maniac Posts: 540

oh thats weird lol , ive never seen one in real life that does not have an integrated graphics solution
  9. bennyr

bennyr Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the advice Dustin those look good and right on my budget

Cheers all

Bennyr
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.