Need advice on new video card!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Gallop

Hi, I have attached an image of my computer info. Most newer games are not playable on it so I want to get a better Video Card. When considering my computer specs can anyone offer advice on what I need? Is there something else I should buy to go along with a new card? What should I be looking for [specs] when shopping around for one? Someone suggested a 9500GT. Any other opinions?
I can't spend lots of money.

Thank you.

Attachments

• System info.jpg
    System info.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 9
Well, without money, you can't do much to play newer games. Im not sure how much 9500 gt costs, but that card should be enough to run newer games. You can try to buy used gpu for less money.

GPU = Graphic Processing Unit

I don't think 9500GT will get you much further with newer games.

Also, when thinking about buying a graphic card you need to see whether you'd need to buy/upgrade your current Power Supply Unit (PSU) as well; because most graphic cards has higher power requirements.

Also Intel's site tells that your motherboard (D915GAG) have one PCI-E slot.

Now having said that:

1. Please let us know how much you are prepared to spend on this upgrade?
2. Which games you want to play?

Lastly, as this is very old system, I do not expect it to be able to play every game with optimal settings; but you may be able to play many of them with reasonable graphics/details settings.

Thank you Archean,
I can afford to invest $150. in upgrading. I realize its not much, and if you don't think it is worth it. I will just wait until I can afford a new computer.
Anyway, the game that I would love to play on my system is a PC game called: 'Call of Juarez'
It installs fine but when I click on "play game", the screen goes Black. You can only see the game cursor and there is no sound. It will not let me out of the screen unless I shut down the computer. So with that info, maybe I need more that just a video card?

I would advise you to wait and build a new system. At $150 you will be able to get a decent enough graphics card to play most games at reasonable settings. However, your current processor and RAM will choke the system when playing recent games at high detail.

If your screen goes black in game, maybe your CD is corrupted or something. Or maybe somethings wrong with your hardware.

PS
My friend has AMD Athlon64 3000+ like me and 9500 GT, and he can play gta IV on reasonable settings. So i think that 9500 gt is very good card. GTA IV is very graphic intensive game.

Minimum Requirements for Call Juarez are:

* Windows 2000/XP/Vista
* 2.2 GHz Pentium 4/Athlon 2400+
* 512 MB RAM
* 256MB DirectX 9.0c compliant, Shader Model 3.0-capable card
* DirectX 9.0c sound card
* 2.4 Gig HD space

So I think yes 9500/or 9600 GT or Radeon 4830/or 4850 will do just fine. However; as Rit very rightfully advised you, it would be prudent to save this money and build a new system few months down the road which will last for few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back