Need advice on setting up simple server

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know next to nothing about servers and even less on how to create one. I would appreciate it very much if I can have some advice on what to consider and such.
In our current game project there will be an online multi player section and this is what I must begin working on. So setting up a simple server to test against is my first goal. The setup only needs capacity for up to 10 players at this time. I have the alpha version of the server side game app.

The hardware I have:

ADSL modem
D-link DGL-4300 router
1 laptop wireless
1 stationary PC, WinXP home sr3, 3 Ghz, 3 Gb ram
1 stationary PC, WinXP home sr3, 3 Ghz, 2 Gb ram (the server to be)

8 Mbit ADSL connection (with approx 6.7 Mbit actual speed)
---------------------------

Here are some basic Q:s.
Can I keep XP as system on the server machine?
Will everything on it be "open" to the connected users? I'd prefer if I can keep some apps and files on it because this is also a render machine.
Can I keep Zonealarm and Avast (anti virus) on it?
Do I need any other apps to make it a server besides my server side game app?

Any advice/help appreciated.

your biggest problem will be the number of concurrent users than can connect to XP,
which is limited to 10 :(

your biggest problem will be the number of concurrent users than can connect to XP, which is limited to 10 :(
I see. That's not good. On the other I only need 10 users for this very early stage in creating the server app and learning the ifs and buts around it. When the client and server apps are smooth and done we'll get a "real server" probably rented with good, guarantied bandwidth.
Theoretically there can be any amount connected only limited to bandwidth and server capacity. There will be max 10 users per game, as in for example a car race where you may have 10 cars competing in a race. But there may be 100 race running on the server.

BTW, I now have the very basic server running! Figured it out after hours of reading. :zzz:
Works fine now connecting to it from other 'puters. On to the next step deciding what the server should do.

/ happy goes here

Theoretically there can be any amount connected only limited to bandwidth and server capacity.
This is VERY expensive with a Microsoft solution.

I'm not a gamer and there may be significant issues, but you might try a Linux Server
with the WINE emulator. Linux doesn't care about number of connections (other than running out of resources) so your limitations would be the performance of the Windows Emulator (WINE).

Great! Good advice.
I'm making a note of this. It'll take a while before I'm ready for the real server but I want to be a step ahead knowing what's ahead. :)

Thank you!

hmm... that's not acceptable.
We have XP pro too but not installed yet. Will pro accept 10 connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back