Need advice re: fans for H80

Dawn1113

[FONT=arial]I've just switched from the Corsair H100 to the Corsair H80 Liquid CPU Cooler. I liked the H100, but it was just making way too much noise. The H80 -- while maintaining temperatures that are about 2°C lower than the H100 -- is a good deal more quiet: a compromise I'm willing to live with.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=arial]I presently have stock Corsair fans mounted on the H80. I figure I can cut down a bit more on the noise by using better quality 120mm fans. Have you guys any suggestions as to what brands and models I should look into?[/FONT]
[FONT=arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=arial]The H80 radiator is cooled by two 120mm fans in push-pull configuration. I've read a few reviews online -- but I think I'm better off with hardware that Techspot members have tried and tested. I use my rig for gaming. My specs are on the drop down.[/FONT][/FONT]

Noctua has a rep for quite fans (I can sympathize with you on that need, because I've concluded that constant whirring and whining noises lead to mental insanity).
Scythe Gentle Typhoon, I've heard, is also silent, and efficient. Both the Noctua and Scythe scrape really close, so it wouldn't be fair to give any ranking. See which suits your hardware and budget, dig up reviews, and go for the best.
P.s.: Bear in mind that electronics and H2O don't get along well. LOL

The lower RPM Scythe GT's are very quiet while moving a lot of air so I can recommend those. Haven't tried the Noctua one though.

Thanks, guys, for your replies. I'll be dropping by a few PC shops on my way home from work tomorrow to have a look see at your suggestions.

The H80 is running fine and is keeping the temps down quite well thus far. Just need those fans to quiet it down just a tad more. And, yeah, Marnomancer, I'll bear in mind that electronics and H2O usually don't mix well. ;):D

Again, thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

I use the Noctua NF-P12-1300 on my H80 and they work wonderfully. Good luck.

Thanks, Blfx1. Yeah, I like the H80, too. I suddenly have a lot more room inside my case -- and even without the new fans it is already much quieter than the H100. I don't think I can do much overclocking, though.

Hey, I like the avatar. Kinda reminds me a little of the drawings of Ric Burchielli and Brian Wood.

The requirements for an all in one (closed loop) watercooler isn't any different from any other radiator. That is to say that the prime requirement should be static pressure, and the trade off between bearing type/acoustics/price.
As mentioned before the Scythe Gentle Typhoons are a good all round series of fans (beware the D1225C12B9AP30 and 31 are fairly loud), but pricy for a dual ball bearing component. Some of the best (and affordable) fans for watercooling radiators are:
Koolance 12025MBK (89 cfm airflow, 4.1mm H2O static pressure) and HBK ( 108 cfm, 5.4mm H2O -both double ball bearing, or Delta WFB1212H *(or similar) -also double ball bearing

If you're ok spending $20+ per fan (as per the Gentle Typhoon) then I'd seriously look at the San(yo) Ace 120x25mm*. Depending on how the Corsair unit is mounted, you could also look to source a Panaflo NMB-MAT (120x38mm) which are also great units (the quieter/less aggressive fanspeed version >>here<<, and the highspeed version (loud unless used with fan control) >>here<<. Mounting a 38mm fan would require a trip to the hardware store for some longer locating screws (probably ~ M3 x 40 - check clearance before mounting the fan or you could damage the rad fins.

* The Delta and San Ace units are used extensively for quality PSU's.

I don't think I can do much overclocking, though.
Without any fans on the radiator I wouldn't recommend it lol. But once you have some mounted. You can get a pretty decent OC w/ the H80 . I am running my i7-2600k at 4.6ghz with load temps maxing at 65c(Prime95). Not too bad considering my room is pretty warm in general :p

Hey, guys. I've taken a look at the fans you've suggested here and they all seem quite good. At the moment, I'm inclined to go for the Panaflo NMB-MAT. I have to be clear, though, that I'm an utter noob. While I love walking into PC shops to look at hardware -- I just love it, yes -- half the time I haven't a clue as to what I'm looking at. :D My brother is a bit more knowledgeable, and helps me out occasionally, but he won't be around until June. So I'm pretty much at sea.

If I go for the Panaflo, what connector type should I choose? The rad of the H80 is mounted in the rear of the HAF X, and is configured for intake as per the manual.

@Blfx1: Good grief, 4.6ghz and 65C at full load? That's a nice OC! What's your vCore? I'm running at stock speeds. I wish I had the guts and the knowledge to do something like that. But alas, just going into the BIOS for minor adjustments makes me break out into a nervous sweat. :D I'm a slow-learner still trying to learn the basics.

I was quite the same when I was younger (I guess most of us here were). My dad used to take me with him to the electronics store when he needed to buy something for his work (he's an electrician). And while he bargained with the salesman, I poked around the store, looking at all the "shiny little stuff". That's actually how I fell in love with electronics. Or computers, to be more specific. *nerd*

OCing is quite simple, but one incorrect step...and puff! But your rig is quite sturdy, and powerful, so I wouldn't recommend Ocing just now, or atleast till you have tried it (successfully) on a more disposable PC.

Yes, I have come across threads in tech forums where people OCing their rigs have run into trouble. You cannot help but feel awful for them when it become increasingly clear that the CPU or mobo is probably gone for good. Real horror stories!

But, anyways, if I order the Panaflo online, should I get the three-pin or the four-pin connector type? I have no clue as to what those are. Sorry for the noob question -- but I want to be sure.

3-pin connectors are regular fans. 4-pin connectors feature fan speed control, allowing the system to increase or decrease the fan speed as needed.

It's probably a good idea to get a fan controller - you can switch your CPU and case fans to low speed or even switch some of them off when idle/web browsing and turn them to full speed when gaming/doing CPU intensive tasks. You'll get a much quieter computer at idle. Also you wouldn't have to worry about 3-pin or 4-pin connectors.

Ok, thank you very much, guys. You've all been very generous. I'll check on the fan controller option, as well, as it does seem like a good idea. I'll take my time, though, as I've found that I do enjoy adding even the smallest things to my desktop. It gives me an excuse to wander around the PC shops a bit.

Again, thanks.

Back