Need advice to install former HD as slave

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks ago my poor computer died. It had been having 'issues' for a bit. I was running 98 on it with a 30 gig HD and 128 RAM. I now have an eMachine with 256 RAM, 80 gig HD,Win XP, Intel Celeron D processor 335.
I do not know what caused my old HD to not boot up but would like to at least get my files off of my old HD and use it as a slave.
When I tried installing it onto my new computer, it kept trying to boot up from the old HD. I am unsure as to where to find the jumpers and what do set them to. the old HD is a Maxtor and it says jumper J50, master/singel on and slave off is listed on the back of it.
Any advice is appreciated.

It needs to be set to slave and your new drive needs to be set to master (not cable select) as it sounds like your old drive doenst support cable select.

rik said:
It needs to be set to slave and your new drive needs to be set to master (not cable select) as it sounds like your old drive doenst support cable select.

But how do I DO that....

Have you tried going into your bios and define wich drive should be the one to boot up, you can usually get into your bios with "DEL" or "F1", you should see it when your computer is first turning on.

You need to move the jumper at the back of the HD, next to the 4-pin powercable, to the master or slave position, as indicated on a sticker on your HD.
You need small fingers or a pair of tweezers to move those jumpers. BIOS won't help you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back