Need advice upgrading video card

By Joseph Bryan
Apr 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi Everyone!

I want to upgrade my video card from nvida geforce 210 to NVIDIA 8800gtx or GTS 250...I want to know which whill be better based on my computer specs below:

BOARD : acer f672cr
    CPU : intel e4300 (core2duo 1.8ghz)
    RAM: 2gb
    PowerSuppy: 500W
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,803   +1,431

A newer card than the 2xx series would serve you better and require less power. Is there no way you could get a GTX 650 or one generation older GTX 550?
  3. Joseph Bryan

Joseph Bryan Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

If I get GTX650.. will it fit to my desktop specs?
  4. cliffordcooley

If you have a PCIe x16 card slot. Without knowing your actual PC, I can't promise anything. However I do have a good feeling you wouldn't have a problem.
  5. Joseph Bryan

Joseph Bryan Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

my current video card is NVDIA GEFORCE 210.. kindly check if this is PCIEx16.. cause I dont have enough knowledge when it comes to pc hardwares.. thanks
  6. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 630   +116

From the motherboard info you have given it does appear that you have a pci-express x16 slot. In that case the 650 would fit. The minimum recommended power supply is 400W so you should be fine there as well.
  7. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,793   +882

I think his CPU will bottleneck anything above a GT640.
  8. cliffordcooley

So since the CPU may be a bottleneck, there is no since in purchasing a better card that can be used in future systems. Purchasing better equipment can always be seen as an investment for later purposes. Matching bottleneck performance is no way to overcome limitations. Who knows what system the card will be used in tomorrow.
  9. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,793   +882

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.