Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to everyone...my current system:
Asus P5Q E motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ
Corsair XMS2 DHX TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 Corsair HX620W CMPSU-620HX ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 2X PCI-E
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (320 MB?)
Antec 1200, Xigmatek cooler
Windows xp pro

I just dropped 1400 bucks cdn on my kids new computer, went with same case, tasty power etc etc and a Phenom II 965 Black edition
and a Radeon hd 5770. Now I am jealous. It kicks my computers virtual *** at the games I like to play such as Cod World at War,
Battlefield 2 and soon Battlefield Bad Company. I would like a new video card (hd 5770 ? ) but the more I look into it, the more
I get confused. Here is a list of stupid questions:

Can I just throw a new video card in it and thats it?....and which one Radeon or Nvidia?
Is my cpu too weak?...should I get a new one or god forbid try to overclock it ?
Is my RAM acceptable or should I upgrade...stay with ddr2 or go to to ddr3? (can I on this board?)
I would really like Windows 7 like my sons new comp has as well, should I get 64 bit?

Its all just too much for my brain...Im old and my brain is tired, any guidance would be hugely appreciated. I dont need an absolutely
killer system but with say 400 to 500 cdn what would be my options for owning poning pwning or whatever when I play other old farts?
Should I go downstairs and pull dirty socks from under his bed, shake my head and say ''Im sorry son but I warned you about this sort
of thing'' and then switch computers?

Well...your system is quite balanced, just a little out of date. To be honest it is a perfectly fine system.

The most cost effective option is to upgrade your graphics card, and yes you can also use a 5770. Don't feel bad the 8800gts 320 isn't a bad card.

Windows 7 64 doesn't really have the drawbacks of previous 64 bits, so yes thats a good choice.
No you can't upgrade to DDR3, and a marginal speed bumb with DDR2 isn't going to make much difference.
It would be quite easy and safe to run your Q6600 at 3ghz, which *might* give you a minor performance increase with the more CPU dependant games.
Also make sure your running the latest drivers for your graphics card, the 8800gts shouldn't be too far behind the 5770.

I agree with HK. That system of yours looks pretty solid. All I would recommend is to pop in the Radeon HD 5850 instead of the 8800GTS.

The Q6600 is a good processor which has started showing some age. However, it will not bottleneck the HD 5850. And you can always push it past the 3GHz mark on air cooling.

Thank you for the help...saves me a lot of time and confusion, I will try to grab a 5850 and windows 7 64 bit and see how that looks.

You have a fantastic CPU, no matter how old it is. I'd go as far as calling it an Intel Legend. ^^
You motherboard and RAM also fit the bill for modern day computer needs, i don't really see the poin in an upgrade as your CPU is easily overclockable.
Only thing letting your gaming needs down might be your GPU and in purchasing a ATi 5850 you're gonna do your 'jeolousy' alot of good. It's a fantastic card, top of the range and should manage any game you throw at it. And YES it is compatible with your motherboard.

Alternatively, there is the 5830 too, at a lower price point.
Also don't forget there are minor risks to overclocking, but I doubt you'll have a problem.

I believe the Q6600 is a very good overclocker. I've heard it can reach upto 3.6 GHZ which is impressive considering the stock clock is at 2.4.
The 5830, 5850 are both good cards, but if you really want a gaming advantage over whoever it may be don't puchase the 5770, while being a good card, some 4800 cards outperform it.

At it's current price point I don't find the HD 5830 that attractive. The 5850 makes more sense for a few bucks more.

Hi Greg. The HD 5830 has not yet released here. But considering that the HD 5850 has about a 20% performance benefit over the HD 5830 and fits the OP's budget makes the 5850 a better option.

I actually spoke from my point of view as an HD 4890 owner. At about $200 it performs very similar to the HD 5830. However, it lacks DX11 support and consumes a lot more power. I really feel that AMD / ATI would have done better if they priced the HD 5830 about 40 bucks cheaper. For me the 5830 is not really an upgrade option. Else, it's a good card. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back