Need assistance in fixing I/O device error with DVD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I found this website and openboard by typing in my problem on google, and i saw that sometime last year someone really found some solid help with fixing their dvd drive. I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop that i bought in 2003, and for the past 6 months have had extreme difficulty with my DVD drive. It won't read any CD's or DVD's at all and keeps saying that the "request could not be performed due to I/O device error."
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I was reading that someone else was able to fix it by doing something called "regenit" in the "run" folder. I'm an aid worker in Pakistan and in desperate need of help as my work depends on this drive.
Thanks.

did my best to find your fix man, hope it works

1. Go to Start
2. Right click My Computer
3. Select Manage from the resulting menu
4. In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
5. In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
6. Identify your CD/DVD drive in the expanded menu and right click the appropriate drive
7. Select Properties
8. In the Properties windows, click the Advanced Settings tab
9. In the Transfer Mode box that represents your CD/DVD drive (typically Device 1), open the drop down menu and select PIO Only
10. Click OK and exit all windows.

If this does not resolve your issue, then you will need to go back using the above procedure and change the Device 1 in step #9 back to "DMA if available". Then, change Device 0 to "PIO Only" in the Transfer Mode box.

Device 0: Primary IDE Channel
Device 1: Secondary IDE Channel

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

When you open my computer, does the drive show up?

Go to your device manager and right click on your optical drive/s, select uninstall. Click ok and reboot your computer. Windows will redetect the drive.

If that doesn`t help, try a different ide cable.

As for using regedit to delete the upper and lower filters. Take a look HERE. However, I think this is only meant to fix dvd drives that will read cd`s but not dvd`s.

Of course, it could just be that your dvd drive is bad. In which case a new drive should solve the problem.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back