Need Assistance Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLOAT

HI, I am a noob here, so if this does not get posted or replied please let me know what I can do to get an answer to my question. So here it is.

I have installed Windows XP Pro into my friend's computer, they did not know the product key and I couldn't find the product key on the puter until today. The 30 days is up and now the Activate window comes up after logging in. Guess what?, the product key is for Home Edition. Now, my friend has put files and pictures on the computer and they are not backed up and of course does not want to lose them. My tech buddy is lending me the install disc for WinXP Home Edition. here is the question: Can I install Windows XP Home Edition from Pro without having to format the drive? So that I may not lose any files or data.

Assistance is always appreciated.

You can use that install, but you need to call Microsoft and get their assistance in over writing the Windows install... You can give them a verbal report and they will verbally give you code back.. but you will need the machine there with you.

Thank You

Hi raybay, thanks for the reply and the info. I hope that MS support agents will get what I am doing. I called them today and it took them 5 times of the same explanation of what I posted here for them to understand what I was asking.

Thanks Again

"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make it's own judgemets"
-Zefram Cochrane

One last thing

So if I am getting you clearly I can (100%) install Windows XP Home Edition to a computer that has Windows XP Professional installed and not lose any Files or Data?

If you have any more trouble, and have to talk to them again, be sure you are talking to the folks in Canada. They are more patient, and more helpful.

Thanks again

Sounds good, thanks again. Let me know if there is anything I may be able to assist you on in the future. Live long and prosper.

I'm curious as to the source of these CDs you're using to install.

You put Windows XP Pro on your friends machine: where did the product key you found after 30 days come from?
Your friend has Windows XP Home.
"My tech buddy is lending me the install disc for WinXP Home Edition."- so you're pirating the OS.

Your 'tech buddy' should known better than to pass out the CD for the OS install.

[So if I am getting you clearly I can (100%) install Windows XP Home Edition to a computer that has Windows XP Professional installed and not lose any Files or Data?

It's not a question of what will be lost- it's the pirated OS!

If it is a product key for the Windows XP Home, that's the only OS it will be good for. Either I'm not understanding or Raybay isn't.

Windows XP Pro to Home Edition

No Pirate CDs or hacked CD Key. you can use any installation Disc XP Pro, Home Edition...etc and as long as you have a paid product key you can use it. The thing is, is that I installed XP pro on my friends computer not knowing that he originally used Home Edition. I could not find the Product key that is on the tower until a few days ago. He thought he had pro, and you can use XP (any edition) for 30 days without using a product key, then MS locks it until you type one in.

So, my question is: Can I install Home Edition with out formatting the HD?

I very much doubt it, the file structures and so forth for individual users are a bit different. Your best approach is put your friends HDD in your own PC temporarily as replacement for a DVD/CD drive and copy off the things he was unwise enough not to back up. Then do a proper install, wiping the drive in the process.

Thanks, but I still need to know... can I install windows xp home edition on to a HD that has window xp pro installed and not reformat the drive? If so, how?

Backup

Reformat and Reinstall. Be sure to backup. Look around and find your friend's XP Home CD, if your computer came with XP Home. Otherwise you are pirating the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back