TechSpot

Need driver for an unknown webcam

By Natejb
Jul 18, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was recently given a usb webcam. The former owner has no idea what brand it is and I cant find any marking of any type on the casing.
    It is silver and kinda shaped like an upside down speach bubble. It has a red led in the front and a chrome color button on the back.

Does anyone have an idea of what brand this is or where to get drivers?
  2. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 718

Hey! Go to a camera shop that deals in those.
  3. Char_X

Char_X TS Rookie Posts: 209

1)you might have to crack it open and look at any names on chips inside.
    2)I will tell you the largest manfactuer i've seen of Webcams is Omnivision. I've had 4 or 5 offbrand webcams that have been Omnivision OEM products. You might consider trying those drivers.
    3)un-plug the webcam(if it's plugged in) then plug it back in.. it should pop up saying new hardware detected and windows might tell you what the device is called.
  4. bishwarup

bishwarup TS Rookie

Hi! I have purchased enet webcam but i lost the driver. Can you guide me where to get that.
  5. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,554

Much like what Char_X suggested, plug the webcam into a USB port. Then open Device Manager

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus Controllers

And see if it lists the name of the webcam.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.