TechSpot

Need for speed underground 2 odd crashing

By viperfan7
Apr 22, 2007
  1. just instaled NFSUG2 and its been crashing randomly ever sence, and for some reason the GPU memorie's MHz jumps from 600 to 1220 when I start the game in XP but not in vista, it manly crashes when I go from a menu to explore mode and from explore mode to a race or menu, but not the pause menu, the GPU runs at 75-78C with this game,this happens in vista and XP, I think its my be a heat problem, anyone know of any fixes?Nothing is overclocked when this happens and I've tried maxing out the fan speeds

GPU: nVidia 7950GT2 dual core GPU 1GB@600MHz memory and 500Mhz
    nTune version : 5.05.25
    CPU: intel dual core 2.66GHz 1066 FSB MHz
    MoBo: nForce 570 SLi A2
    Dell XPS 710

2. Puppysnuff

Puppysnuff TS Rookie

I had this problem myself and found that, after much digging, NFSU2 doesn't like multi-core processors. That is the bad news. The good news is that you can fix it two ways:

1) Safe process that is annoying, and you have to do it every time you start playing. As soon as you jump into the game, Ctrl-Alt-Del and go to the Task Manager. Right Click on SPEED2.EXE and select "Set Affinity" Make sure only 1 processor is checked. Go back to game. You will need to do this every time you start the game.

2) The more complex method that takes a little more time, but you only have to do it once. This method involves editing the EXE file, so I recommend making a copy first. Get yourself a copy of "imagecfg.exe" online. This is a microsoft tool that is found on NT systems that will edit a program to only see one CPU at a time. After you have the file, put it in the NFS folder in Program Files. Run CMD from the NFS folder and type, "imagecfg -a 0x1 SPEED2.EXE" After you have run this, NFS should be running off of the 1st CPU from then on, and you should have a much more stable game.

3. viperfan7

viperfan7 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thank you, another game to add to the list of non dual core games

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.