Need hardware advice: Video + PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulanthony408

Well it seems that everytime I google for answers (tech advice) I get directed here. I would call Dell Support but it seems that everyone gets the run around with them. So heres my problem, as you probably already know the Dell Dimension E310 is pretty much limited to its video capabilities.(it being a pci express with x16 socket or something around those lines) And some how if you do find a decent video card its probably expensive, plus not to add, the power deficiancy, its about 230w in a standard E310 desktop. With this being said I might need a PSU upgrade also, that is another issue "what is the right PSU for my computer? I heard if the watts are too high you can burn out your motherboard, thats a big problem for me. So instead of figuring it out for myself I decided to post a thread, its seems like theres a solution all the time thanks to all you tech experts. So here we go!

I have a standard straight from the factory Dell Dimension E310 the only upgrade is the 1G RAM I installed. Im trying to figure out the best way to optimize perfomance for my new 24" Samsung T240HD HDTV:

"I had a link here for specs on monitor but I couldn't post it, I need 5 posts first"

It works as a monitor and a HDTV. What video card do I need to optimize performance but is also economically efficient? Im looking in about a range of $100 bucks or less. I know the video card needs the DVI hook up to optimize resolution. Will it require a PSU upgrade as well and if so what do you recommend? Another thing how will the picture change when I use it for the internet, to HDTV, to PS3? Im sure the resolution changes but thats all native to me I have no clue? I guess I'll know after someone helps me. So pretty much I need help on deciding what the best combination of products are needed to get the best picture and performance. I hope someone can help. Thank you for reading.

More issues

WOW no replies how sad. Well I figured out which GPU I want its the Ati Radeon 2400 HD Pro. It has similar P/N's as my monitor(just an observation). Anyways I figured I had 2 PCI-E x16 slots(one was for the OEM modem I removed & 1 PCI x 1 with is practically obsolete from what I hear. So Im ok in that area, so far. The Graphics card requires a PSU 300w or more recommended. Also, requires an HD DVD drive. So my question is will it still work with my current 230w PSU & do I really need an HD DVD drive for it to operate properly. In regards to the HD DVD I wont be watching them on my PC only on my PS3. So is there anyone out there with a similiar issue or some insight on this subject, thanks

Paul

Are you sure the PSU will fit? I heard they were proprietary components in most dells. Well at least mine. Thanks for the inquiry.

Paul

WOW no replies how sad. Well I figured out which GPU I want its the Ati Radeon 2400 HD Pro. It has similar P/N's as my monitor(just an observation). Anyways I figured I had 2 PCI-E x16 slots(one was for the OEM modem I removed & 1 PCI x 1 with is practically obsolete from what I hear. So Im ok in that area, so far. The Graphics card requires a PSU 300w or more recommended. Also, requires an HD DVD drive. So my question is will it still work with my current 230w PSU & do I really need an HD DVD drive for it to operate properly. In regards to the HD DVD I wont be watching them on my PC only on my PS3. So is there anyone out there with a similiar issue or some insight on this subject, thanks

Paul

You have to understand, there are more people here needing help than giving help usually.

Well i need to know what form factor your case is and then youll know if your psu will fit send me your model name of your PC which meens the dell 4552 whatever like a dell xps 450 give me your model and il ltell you exactly what you need.

You do not have a PCI-E x16 slot, only a PCI-E x1 slot and PCI slots. This severely limits your graphics card options.

IMO, get this card. It has onboard HD video decoding for HD videos and movies and is within your budget. It will not require a new PSU either. You can go with an 8500GT PCI too, but the performance increase will be negligible, so stick with the 2400PRO.

Are you sure the PSU will fit? I heard they were proprietary components in most dells.

The thing is, with dells, the power supplies are usually wired differently to normal power supplies. So if you were to put a standard power supply in that dell (if it is proprietary) then chances are, you will fry the motherboard and possibly every other component in the computer.

A safer bet would be to order a new (better) power supply directly from dell.

You do not have a PCI-E x16 slot, only a PCI-E x1 slot and PCI slots. This severely limits your graphics card options.

IMO, get this card. It has onboard HD video decoding for HD videos and movies and is within your budget. It will not require a new PSU either. You can go with an 8500GT PCI too, but the performance increase will be negligible, so stick with the 2400PRO.

This is strange because when I looked up the motherboard 915G on the intel website is says it has a PCI Express X16, I might be wrong but check this link out:

http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=5341&familyID=10

I scanned my computer on Intel's website and it came up with the 915G chipset. Am i missunderstood about this info?

Well i need to know what form factor your case is and then youll know if your psu will fit send me your model name of your PC which meens the dell 4552 whatever like a dell xps 450 give me your model and il ltell you exactly what you need.

Im informed that it has a Pico BTX case. I found a compatible PSU online with 600w output. Check this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-quiet-Power...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Think its too much power or will this work?

The thing is, with dells, the power supplies are usually wired differently to normal power supplies. So if you were to put a standard power supply in that dell (if it is proprietary) then chances are, you will fry the motherboard and possibly every other component in the computer.

A safer bet would be to order a new (better) power supply directly from dell.

Do you think this will work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-quiet-Power...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Yeah, that should work. But if you still want to get a new video card, it will have to be a standard PCI card as your system does not have a PCI-E 16x slot.

That is just what the motherboards chipset supports. The motherboard itself doesnt have a PCI-e 16 slot.

The 2400PRO Rage_3K_Moiz linked you to is a good PCI card, and like he said, Doesnt require a new PSU

You could also get a GeForce 8500GT PCI, which is faster then the 2400PRO. But with that you may need a better psu

That is just what the motherboards chipset supports. The motherboard itself doesnt have a PCI-e 16 slot.

The 2400PRO Rage_3K_Moiz linked you to is a good PCI card, and like he said, Doesnt require a new PSU

You could also get a GeForce 8500GT PCI, which is faster then the 2400PRO. But with that you may need a better psu

Thanks thats what I was trying to figure out. Why cant the mfg's just say that...lol...well I did purchase the PSU so now I guess I have a better wattage capability. Any suggestions on a better card obviously wattage is not an issue. Something no more than $150. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back