TechSpot

Need help a replacement motherboard

By greatman05
Oct 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello. I have a custom-built computer with a Gigabyte GA-KN8SC-939 motherboard with a Athlon64 3500+ processor. The motherboard had been having problems starting about a few years ago with random crashes occurring whenever devices were plugged in to now crashing and freezing up on a regular basis. I suspected it was the motherboard (no other devices were having problems, and the memory wasn't faulty), so I believe I need to replace the motherboard. However, knowing the age of this computer, I don't know if it's possible. Do you guys know of a motherboard that would have performance similar to this one and also work with a Socket 939 Athlon64 3500+ processor?
  2. dmill89

dmill89 TS Guru Posts: 737

About the only place you will find a 939 board these days is ebay or at a computer shop that deals in used hardware. For less than $150 you can get an AM3 board Athlon II X2 and 4GB DDR3 If you want to go that route.
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz
    Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE AM3
    RAM:Crucial 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

A setup such as this while not exceptionally powerful by todays standards, would run circles around that old socket 930 Athlon64 3500+ processor.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.