Need Help & Advise On New Mobo For A Dimension 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, to start off I know pretty much nothing about motherboards, however I want to change the motherboard in my Dimension 3000 to have a PCI-E slot, it also all started when I got BF2 and it wouldn't run on my current PCI card, and everyone recommended to get a new mobo, and a pci-e card as that would help in the "long run," so thing is I want to keep my Dimension 3000 Case and I want a motherboard that has a PCI-E slot (sorry for being reptitive) so I want to know what mobos would fit the case, I heard that the Dimension 4700 mobo would fit the case and run with the rest of the Dimension 3000 equpiment, is that true? As I've seen the 4700 mobo on ebay for around 70 bucks, if no what other mobo would also fit the case and run with the rest of the Dimensions 3000 equipment, and wouldn't require anything such as a new power supply? And one more question, would the new mobo + a pci-e graphic card, good enough to run Battlefield 2, all together cost more then $150? As I'm only 14, got my Dimension 3000 not long ago so I don't want to bug my parents about buying me something for it ago, and I'll be using my own money for it, so for me the cheaper the better, any help input and help with this would be greatly appreciated. Oh and if this info is needed, my Dimension 3000 has a P4 3.0Ghz HT Proccessor + 512MBs of RAM.

As soon as you touch the insides of that new Dell, you'll lose the warranty.

Your $150,- will just about get you a decent motherboard. You'll probably need another $70-90 for a decent powersupply.
The hammer will be a new SLI videocard at anywhere from at least $200.- and up.

Dell PCs are crap to work with, or exchange any major parts. Chances are that a new mobo will not fit, because of Dell proprietary specifications, different wiring etc.

My advice: keep your fingers off it!
If you want to 'game', start saving up and build your own PC from scratch.
Dells are good for email, Office and browsing the web, and not much else.

Thanks for the advise, but do you buy any chance know if the Dimesnion 4700 mobo would fit the Dimesnion 3000, and if the D4700 mobo would be compatible with all the stuff in the D3000? Because I looked around on few forums and posted and no one give me a straight forward answer on that, most pople, like you, say to buy a new computer, but with all due respect that's not my question as I'm not intrested in a new computer but intrested in getting something out of my D3000.

If you buy a new case, PSU, motherboard and graphics card, you can use the rest of your D3000. Mind that you get a motherboard that accomodates your current CPU and memory, and that it supports SATA as well, if that's what you have now.
You will also need a full XP CD, not a restore-to-factory-standard crap CD.
I have no idea about specifications of Dell mobos, they are all non-standard anyway.

You have a good run-of-the-mill PC now. You should be thankful that your parents can afford to buy you your own PC. If you want to game, just turn down the framerate, antialiasing and what have you, and just enjoy that PC for now.
See if you can perhaps pass it on to a younger sibling and get your parents to buy you e.g. an Alienware gaming PC. (Hope they have a money-tree!)

RealBlackStuff said:
If you buy a new case, PSU, motherboard and graphics card, you can use the rest of your D3000. Mind that you get a motherboard that accomodates your current CPU and memory, and that it supports SATA as well, if that's what you have now.
You will also need a full XP CD, not a restore-to-factory-standard crap CD.
I have no idea about specifications of Dell mobos, they are all non-standard anyway.

You have a good run-of-the-mill PC now. You should be thankful that your parents can afford to buy you your own PC. If you want to game, just turn down the framerate, antialiasing and what have you, and just enjoy that PC for now.
See if you can perhaps pass it on to a younger sibling and get your parents to buy you e.g. an Alienware gaming PC. (Hope they have a money-tree!)
yep and do the best of what you have

RealBlackStuff said:

Your $150,- will just about get you a decent motherboard. You'll probably need another $70-90 for a decent powersupply.

Dell PCs are crap to work with, or exchange any major parts. Chances are that a new mobo will not fit, because of Dell proprietary specifications, different wiring etc.

unless you get the dell XPS for light gaming

RealBlackStuff said:

what kind of system you running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back