Need help analyzing dump file for BSOD STOP: 0x0000008E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all. I've been reading about fixing STOP: 0x0000008E errors and have my minidump file processed and ready here.

The system is a Dell Dimension 2400, 1gb RAM, Win XP SP3 (just updated; was having bluescreen before SP3 was installed and still happening). All parts are stock, no add-in cards, etc.

The BSOD seems to happen only if AOL is loaded, but I'd appreciate someone else's input, if possible.

Thanks,

Todd in L.A.

Well the text file you put up there mentions a 0xA error not a 0x8E error but both are similar errors being associated with General Hardware faults and bad device drivers although the 0xA error can be caused by incompatible software as well.

Start off by downloading the pre-built version of Memtest86 and burning it to a disk and restart the comp (Checking in BIOS that your CD/DVD Drive is the first bootable option) after this start the test for 3-5 hours (Minimum Of 7 Passes) or overnight which would be better.

Memtest86 - http://www.memtest.org/
ISO Recorder - http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Download ISO Recorder V2 for your OS. After this post back or if you have any questions as well.

Hi Woody1191,

Thanks, I'll give Memtest a shot.

The system has run fine for about two hours w/o AOL loaded, then IE froze while using AOL webmail. Killed IE, got error messages about Norton A/V & LogMeIn failures. Did a manual restart. Got to Desktop, then it BSOD'd again. Turned it off.

FYI, prior to the manual reboot (before BSOD) I used MSCONFIG to disable all startups and services other than LogMeIn. I've been trying to fix this PC via remote, but now I'm going to go on site.

Thanks, again. I'll post again one I'm there. It's a couple hours away. Ugh...

Todd

Dam that RAM!

You were right. I enabled the extended RAM test on the BIOS, rebooted and it failed right away. Just for kicks I used MemTest and got the same results.

Thanks for the guidance!

Todd

Thats ok, good to here that worked.
First test suggested as well, some problems can take a couple of days to figure out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back