Need help bad, windows root/system32/ntoskrnl.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok went to turn my laptop on and got the
windows root/system32/ntoskrnl.exe. is currupt or missing and needs to be reinstalled somethin like that. anyways i did this

1. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.
2. Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.
3. In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
4. Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.
5. Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32

after i did this code it said access denied and could never get to step 6. or 7.

6. You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.
7. Type exit to reboot the computer.

I need this laptop fixed it has all of my files on it AHHH

Ii would NOT run the Recovery Console unless you are already experienced in it.

What I would do is run the regular Windows R for repair mode. If you get the Recovery Console, get out of it and start over.

if u can get an original Win dvd and boot off it just like u were going to install fresh, when it asks u if u want to install windows say yes, then the first option will be to repair windows. enter the R here. it will seem like it is reinstalling but will not erase any of u're personal files. u will need to update windows again when done.

No you do not want to do the R repair here, or you will end up with the Repair Console which is no good unless you are already experienced with it.

The long verson
You can use a Windows Full Retail install disk from Microsoft, or an OEM XP Professional or OEM XP Home disk or an upgrade of either to performa your Repair Install. You can also perform an inplace upgrade of Windows.

However, Company restore disk sets from the computer manufacturer, or the hidden restore files found on a hidden partition will NOT work.
A properly handled repair install is supposed to replace the system files, and hardware files with those found on that disc version. It will not work easily if your install CD is older than the installed Winodws on the hard drive. Once done, you will find your applications, files, folders, and data as they were before. But you will need to re-install Windows Updates, and Service packs. It is handy to have ordered the Windows Service pack on CD from Microsoft for $3.40 plus shipping… or about $10 as it usually arrives by delivery service.
Your repair install will replace any files altered by such malware and adware program, but will not fix the underlying problem. So you must run a new scan with trustworthy software at the end of the repair install.
You should disconnect from any possibility of connecting to the internet. No firewall. No hardware cable. No Wireless card or connection.
Begin the repair install by booting to the Windows CD you have. You could find that you need to change the boot order in the BIOS to do this. Do a gurgle search or get back to me if you have trouble doing this.
You should soon see the Welcome to Setup on your screen. There will be options beneath this screen. You will get a notice something like, “this portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer; then to setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
Next, you will get something like, “To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R. YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS. STOP now If you have no experience with Repair Console installs.
Your next choice, is To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
But the main choice now is, “Press <ENTER> to begin the Windows Setup:
As said above, you do not want to select the Repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R, unless you are very experienced in the use of the Recovery Console. Otherwise, you are going to be very confused, waste a lot of time, and likely make a lot of regrettable mistakes.
You will get another chance to select an R for Repair below. But first, you need to accept the Microsoft License Agreement and Windows will search for your existing Windows installation you want to repair, and give you a list.
Choose from the list Windows provides the XP Installation you wish to repair and

Press R which will begin the repair.
If you do NOT get this second R choice, end this setup, and start over. NOW.

Otherwise, Setup will begin copying the needed files from the CD to the hard drive, as you are in Repair Mode. When done, reboot.

Don’t press the key for booting from the CD when that choice reappears. Setup will just keep on going as though it was doing a new install. Your Files, folders, applications and settings will remain as they were before you pressed the R choice.

When done, your Device Manager should be updated along with your Windows Software.

The SOLUTION!! to <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I just experienced this problem on my HP Desk Top. I found that if I UNPLUG my USB/PS2 mouse and reboot, my computer comes up fine, I then plug the mouse back in and all is well. Of course this doesn't solve the problem, just a work around to get your computer up, I'm working on getting this file and reinstalling it into SYS32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back