Need Help Choosing a CPU that's compatible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, First off I just joined this forum and this is my first time posting a thread so I'd like to say hi to everyone :wave:

I recently bought a refurb Shuttle bare bones kit and this will be my first attempt at building a custom PC. Now to my question: According to the motherboard manual it was tested with Pentium 4 CPUs with Prescott Cores with an FSB of 800mhz and a max operating frequency of 3.6ghz. Now of course this kit isn't the newest one on today's market but I need to know if these specifications are what the system is limited too or not.

Do I have to intstall a Pentium 4 processor with no more than 3.6ghz or will something like a Pentium D Dual Core processor with 2.8ghz work without compatibility problems?

I just don't wanna go through the headache of having to return a CPU I've ordered over the internet if it doesn't work.

The shuttle barebones kits are pretty good, but with very limited space for cooling and air circulation. Keep cables and such carefully pinned down so they don't block any air movement. Use top quality EIDE Cables. Keep it clean by checking for dust, lint, and hair every four months. It is not a good gaming machine due to the generation of excess heat.

I believe it only supports Prescott CPUs, not Cedar Mill or Pentium D's. Basically you want a 520, 530, 540, 550, 620, 630, 640, 650, 521, 531, 541, 551, 505, 511 or 519. After reading trough the manual and BIOS updates I never read that it supports Celerons but it probably does. I never found a nice little support list. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back