Need help choosing a new Mobo and what are solid capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBNSB

rite now i got

E6750 @ 3.2ghz

EVGA nForce 680i SE SLI 775 TR

OCZ Reaper memory PC6400

WD Raptor 150 gig WD caviar 400gig

EVGA 8800GT Superclocked

the problem is where i live we have bad power service. the power usually goes out once a month and that has fried 3 boards already. but since evga has a good warranty ive been able so send them in for an replacement.

i was not thinking i forgot to remove my chip set fan from my last replacement so i got no chip set fan and it runs at like 70c.

3 days ago i got my new zalman fan and i was having difficulty installing it cause there were some stupid heat sinks in the way but i got it in with no real problem.
i bumped some of the capacitors and when i went to restart my computer would start for a millisecond then shut off. i guess it was shorting out so i wiggled the capacitors and now it boots up fine...

so ive been looking at the EVGA 750i and i was wondering what is the difference in solid capacitors and normal ones?

i need to be able to sli cause im getting another 8800GT in a cupple days.

Solid capacitors are a newer new, advanced design. Solid capacitors and electrolytic capacitors both store electricity then discharge it as needed.

What separates them is that solid capacitors contain a solid organic polymer, while electrolytic capacitors use a common liquid electrolyte. This results in the names sold, vs "normal" or electrolytic capacitors.

Solid capacitors are much more expensive, but the prices are going down. The meaningful difference is that they last anywhere from1.25 times longer on up to 6.5 times longer... depending, of course, on the temperatures existing on the motherboard... but one should expect solid capacitors to last about 25 years... or longer... which of course is meaningless, because the boards will be antique by that time.

Yes, in my opinion, they are better... substantially better... but I doubt you will be a able to detect difference in performance of two boards of the same new age.

Because there is no detectable difference, and the cost is much greater, most boards are still using Electrolytic capacitors... due to price.

However, this is changing rapidly as board assembly lines are changed over to handle the install of the solid capacitors.

To add to what raybay said, liquid capacitors are prone to leakage when high voltage current passes through them regularly. This may be a toxic hazard and due to the liquid being an electrolyte, it may short out or fry the motherboard. Solid capacitors obviously do not have the same problem.
Also, solid capacitors last much longer due to lower impedance at higher AC frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back