Need help chosing CPU and Motherboard

By Norak
Jun 13, 2005
  1. I am saving up to build a computer - a process long awaited in my mind.
    I have a limit of around $1000 for the whole computer, and I have chosen all of my other parts but the main ones.

The choice is too hard... I don't see much difference between the AMD Semperon (hope I spelt it correctly), or the Intel Celeron's.
    I also don't know what features to go for on my Motherboard.

Would somebody be able to help me?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

How much are you willing to spend on the mobo and cpu?

Once we know this we will be able to make suggestions.

Regards Howard :D
  3. Norak

Norak TS Rookie Topic Starter

I was hoping to spend around $300 for both of them combined.
    So equivalently $150 each.
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

For that kind of money you should consider an AMD athlon 64 3000+ or similar socket939.

There are plenty of good socket 939 mobo`s in your price range.

Take a look at the Techpot priceguide at the top of this page.

Regards Howard :)
  5. Norak

Norak TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks mate. I'll have a look at the AMD athlon 64 3000+.
  6. Secondgunman

Secondgunman TS Rookie Posts: 91

yes go with a starter end....

yes go with a starter end 939 mobo and a 64 3000+this would be your best bet and you can upgrade a massive amount when you have the money to.
  7. Secondgunman

Secondgunman TS Rookie Posts: 91

Holy Carp!!!

HOLY CARP IN THE SEA!!! my mother board and video cards have jumped up in price by $30.00 each and my RAM has droped buy $50.00 per stick at the store I use... this is crazy!
  8. Bipolar_Gargoyl

Bipolar_Gargoyl TS Rookie Posts: 71

Ok i have the same ? But i need to know what mobo will fit best in my Dell case, and my current mobo has 5 pci slots and a longer black one(not sure whats its called) and a shorter brown one thats a little further in. I want to add a graphics card and a nic and a sound card. it has a sky hawk power supply(not sure what specs you would need to know) Right now i just want to get the mobo and processor. Anything above 2.0 gig or better what ever is least expensive, but good. very low budget. i have looked up mobo and stuff, but i am clueless as what to get. never worked with them before. Any and all help greatly!! appreciated.

Thanks Bipolar
  9. kol_indian

kol_indian TS Rookie Posts: 316

Bipolar the long black one is a ISA slot and brown one is a AGp slot, u can go for a AGP graphics card. according to ur budget.

Between what MB are using

good hunting :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.