Need help deciding on a vid card!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer~freak~

hey guys i was planning on getting a 8800gt a couple months ago. Then my older brother wanted me to go halfs with him on a ps3. So there my saved up money for a 8800gt went and now my birthday is coming up in april then my confirmation in may so im going to have at least like $500. And now i was debating to still get a 8800 gt or a 8800 gtx . Im going to start off with my explanation of the 8800GT if i get the 8800GT i dont have to get a new power supply . Next i will tell you about the 8800GTX if i get this card i will need a new power supply ( any suggestions on the power supply?) also this card will give me amazing performance and wont totally break my bank because the one i found is only $399CAN . But i was thinking since i found the 8800 gt so cheap i might get a new power supply and just grab 2 8800gt for SLI the 8800gt i was looking at costed $239CAN each
anyways any suggestions guys? much apppreciated!

Wait for the Nvidia 9800's... Not only will you see a price drop (likely) but it will do wonders beyond any 8-series card. Since you have $500, i think you will be able to afford this future monster.

I don't know about the release date though.

Why do you feel that you would need a new PSU for the GTX?

SLI isn't practical in most applications in my opinion. You'd be better off buying the 9800GT assuming it's on the market by April/May.

I need a new powersupply for a GTX because im using a ghetto ultra c connect with a single rail that only has 28 amps and i figured 8800gt models from manufactures say they need at least 28- 32 amps for a 8800gt so if i get a 8800gt i would just keep my power supply but the gtx i wouldnt want to take the risk of underpowering it and other hardware damages from a crappy power supply so yea but i think im gonna end up going with the GTX just because the price i found for it is good and it will handle games way better than a 8800gt plus the GTX has a much better heatsink than the 8800gt which has a 1 slot cooler that heats up like crazy

Yeah 32A on the 12v line is definitely the lowest I'd go for a high end card. I'd aim for something with 34A or better if possible. That goes for the GT or the GTX in my opinion. Others will chime in and argue I'm sure.

well i wouldnt really cry if a gt fryied but if i ended up buying the GTX (which i think i am ) if that beast fryied i would be on my knees so i wanna play it safe with that $399 bad boy but i still need help decinding which power supply to get i want somthing that looks nice and is good for cable management and i need it from either: www.tigerdirect.ca or canadacomputers.com

Whether you get a GT or a GTX you'll need a new power supply. Running a power supply at its’ max output isn’t a good idea because it’ll lead to early PSU death. When your PSU dies it has a good chance of taking your motherboard with it. So whatever card you get you should plan on at least 35-40 amps on the 12 volt rail. Oh, the GTX isn’t that much more powerful than the GT. All things considered I’d get the GT if I decided not to wait for the 9800.

well im gonna be making the purchase of the card and power supply ( thx to cinders knocking some common sense in my head) around april 20 - may 4 . but i really think im gonna get the 8800gtx just because the 8800gt have had some problems with there stock heatsink and i never really liked changing GPU heatsinks . plus the GTX is like 15% -25% faster in real world applications and games and i want this card to be a solid performer until like next christmas when i get more $ and then i will only probly be upgrading to a perny or maybe a nehalem if they come out in the 4th Quarter and and i would buy the chip and a board .not a new GPU and if a new gpu that would be another GTX for cheap

Hmm now I'm starting to feel uneasy about my power supply as well, although I guess 20 A isn't to bad for my crappeh 8400 GS =p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back