Need help for school - bus speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I am currently attending a class in high school (Network Systems I) and I was assigned a project to research a motherboard. The motherboard I got was a P5VX-B Elite Group. One of the things we are supposed to find out is the front side and back side bus speed, but I don't really understand what either of them are, or how to find them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back-side Bus(BSB): Speed of bus that connects the CPU core to the CPU's L2 Cache. This can usually be synonymous with the CPU core speed.

Front-side Bus(FSB): Speed of bus that connects the CPU to it's memory and other mainboard hardware.

The motherboard in question has an Intel i430VX chipset, which I believe supported Pentium 75 to Pentium 200/mmx cpu's. So there's half the work right there- it supported back-side bus speeds of 75 to 200mhz.

Now as far as front-side bus speed... the above Pentium processors all had host clocks of either 50, 60 or 66mhz. Your remaining homework would then be to hunt down what kind of memory this mainboard uses to determine if it ran 1:1 ratio with the 50/60/66 host clock... or effective doubling, such as with PC-100 or PC-133 memory (i.e. 50x2/100, 66x2/133) to get effective FSB speed.

Schools are getting very advanced now. Can you imagine what computers are going to be like in a few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back