Need help in selecting an external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi...I'm not computer savvy and am looking for an external hard drive (around 500 gig) that is simple to use...like a large flash drive where I can select the specific files/photos/docs that I want from several computers and copy/paste them into folders I create on the external hard drive.

I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book Essential drive. My computer (OS Windows XP made by a friend in 2005 if it matters) wouldn't recognize the drive. I spent 90 minutes with tech support before my computer recognized it and downloaded their SmartWare software. Unfortunately, SmartWare doesn't let you create folders and be selective in deciding what you want to back up. It seems to only let you back up the entire computer. Tech support told me to return it and get something else.

At this point I think I want a portable external hard drive. What is out there that will allow me to create folders and select the files I want, as well as back up the entire computer when I decide too? Any suggestions and points to consider are greatly appreciated.

Thanks - C

I personally would suggest a seagate freeagent go. I had purchased a WD passport 250 gig usb hard drive from ebay, brand new in the package. I am an onsite technician, and the idea behind the passport, was something that I could back up customer data onsite, and would fit in my laptop bag. Unfortunately for me (and the customer at that time), that WD passport didnt even last 1 month and died. Clicking and everything, I knew it was gone, including the customer data on it. I contacted WD, and got it replaced. Still had to dish out for the shipping though. But long story short, I checked out reviews on the WD hard drives and discovered a lot of them have issues of some sort. I was obviously in need of a new hard drive I could depend on for backing up my customers data, and decided on a seagate freeagent go from wal-mart. A 250gig was on sale for 60 bucks, so I got it. I am VERY happy with it, and it works seamlessly with every computer I've hooked it up to. I've been using it for close to a year now, and hasnt failed me yet. 500gigs is all I see in walmart anymore as the lowest size availiable in this model, so you shouldnt have any trouble finding it. I should also add that whether you decide to get this particular model or not, be sure and get a seagate brand period. Its one of the top and trusted brands today for data storage.

A side note to consider: Never depend completely on a hard drive for backing up. Every hard drive fails at some point or another, so it's a good idea to burn to cd or dvd's your irreplaceable data. I recommend this to every one of my customers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back