Need Help Installing HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to get this to work....

I have two HDDs...

A.) ST380012A - Original
B.) ST3160021A - New

I'm trying to set A as the master, and B as the slave. I got the jumpers all correct, in the boot diagnostic both devices are recognized correctly as master and slave. However...one of two things happens.

Windows gets stuck on the boot load screen. Doesn't freeze, the bar keeps moving...and moving and moving and thats it...just stays there. This happens when I configure the jumpers as master and slave specified, as opposed to cable select.

When the jumpers are set to cable select, I'm able to get into the Windows install on the master just fine...but can't browse any files or anything on the slave, B.

I have gone to My Computer > Manage...nothing there. I have tried Add New Hardware...which picks up the new Disk Drive...but computer is running slow slow at this point for some reason, it either freezes or just...poops.

Something I just noticed while writing this thread. On the boot diagnostic, the following message appears. So far only noticed when jumpers are not configured for cable select.

IDE Channel 1 no 80 conductor cable installed

On a side note...Drive A is the working main HDD for this machine with the Windows XP install.

Drive B is one a friend gave me to see if I can get some files off of it.

Hi

It is a known fact that some IDE devices of the same brand will not happily coexist on the same channel, regardless of how you set the jumpers, I found this out whilst trying to install 4 x 80GB drives of the same type on my new server.

You can try setting it as a secondary device as a temporary measure.

Regards

You can try setting it as a secondary device as a temporary measure.

What exactly do you mean by that? I'm good with computers...but to a certain extent, :p.

Basically, I want to browse the files off of HDD B. Some things are corrupt on that HDD so booting it won't work either, which is why I was trying to slave it.

I believe that the suggestion was to use the secondary IDE connection. It's possible that this drive will only work if it is solo on that connector. Temporarily run without optical drives normally connected to the secondary.

Or use a USB caddy (enclosure / case / adapter) for the HDD. It is more convenient for temporary drives,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back