Need help installing Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rake1

I was trying to take Vista off my computer and install XP pro it seemed like it wiped Vista (not sure) But when it restarted I got an error and it wants to start the reformat all over. I just put the XP disc in the drive and booted from CD. It appears this will not work,I was told I have to download something from your site which will install some files so I can do the install from my XP disk. Can you help me with this reformat.

Like I mentioned it wants to boot from cd all over again.I can't remember but it was something like error starting windows. But XP never gets installed from the Cd.

During Windows XP installation, Windows Setup will restart the PC several times. Because the first boot device is usually set to CD drive, each time it restarts it will give the message, "Press any key to boot from CD." Except for the very first time you stick the CD in the drive, don't press anything when you see that message the second time. If you do, you start from the beginning all over again. Setup will continue on its own if you do nothing. You may know all this already but I just wanted to be sure because your description of the problem was a little vague to me.

Anyway, if the hard drive on which you are installing Windows is SATA, the lack of a SATA/RAID controller driver might be the problem. Typically, you can try to set the SATA controller mode in the BIOS to IDE and then you should be able to install Windows without issues. If you set the controller mode to SATA or AHCI (depending on the chipset/BIOS your motherboard has), you will have to install SATA/RAID controller drivers at the F6 prompt at the beginning of Windows Setup.

This F6 procedure requires a floppy drive, however. If you don't have one, you can try to make a slipstream CD which adds the appropriate SATA drivers to the contents of a Windows install CD. Search the internet for the procedure on how to make one. There are several to choose from.

If I have misunderstood your problem, please explain.

I did go onto Seegate site looking for some help but I just couldn't really understand what I needed to do this. I believe the hard drive is sata so I will try to change the bios to ide as you stated see what happens. Someone else told me I have to zero fill first will I didn't know how to do that either.

During Windows Setup, you will have an opportunity to format the hard drive which will wipe out any data that might be on the drive. A full format rather than a quick format would be better to wipe out data.

Also, be sure to have all the motherboard chipset, graphics, sound, LAN, etc. drivers already on hand before you begin the XP installation process. You want to make sure they are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back