Need help making a DVR

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00b

I'm trying to setup a spare system I have so I can record TV shows to the drives just like a DVR now obviously I need all the normal computer parts but what addons do I need I'm assuming just a TV tuner card but I have no idea also what program is good to use for this type of thing.

thank you in advance

For Windows:
Vista Home Premium and XP Media Center Edition are incredibly easy to use and have a very plesant looking interface. If you just have regular XP then there are a few PVR softwares you can run such as BeyondTV, SageTV and a few others I can't remember offhand.

If you are brave you could try any version of Linux and run MythTV. I've toyed around with that in the past without much success but others swear by it. It is far more customizable than the built in stuff in Vista Home Premium and XP Media Center.

You'll want a remote too, and what type of one you use depends on the software you are using.

tipstir also has a thread discussing making your PC a home theater server: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic87646.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back