What would be better for a gaming pc

Core i5 750
(mobo: asus maximus iii formula)

or

AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
(mobo: msi 790fx-gd70

Thanks
Nik11105

I would say the i7 if going for a quad system, and if you can't do an i7 for budget reasons. Go with the AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE.

I have the 965BE and Like it. I also believe the Intels are powerful chips. See my specs. I have the MSI 790FX-GD70 mb with my 965BE C2. Bought them both last August and they are solid. My son-in-law has an Intel I7-920 with a Nvidia 285 and I have my setup with a xfx 5850BE and he is a serious CODMW2 player and says my machine plays just as fast so go figure!

i5 750 + MSI GD65. Should be great.

The PII 965 is a very good processor. But the i5 beats it in all benchmarks.

i5 750 + MSI GD65. Should be great.

The PII 965 is a very good processor. But the i5 beats it in all benchmarks.

The phenom II x4 955 does better then the higher clocked intel core i7 965 in some benchmarks, you obviously have no idea what your talking about

EduardsN said:
The phenom II x4 955 does better then the higher clocked intel core i7 965 in some benchmarks, you obviously have no idea what your talking about

Well, do I not? I suggest you read this review here on techspot and check for yourself. Unless you claim to know more than them, I guess I was right.

The i5-750 is a close match to the 965BE. In some tests the 750 wina and in others the 965 wins. Check Tom's hardware chart and Anandtech

lol a 955 doing better than the intel 965 dont make me laugh that is so dumb before u put ur foot in ur mouth know what u are talking about please.

Too much hostility...:(

The 965BE is a sweet chip. I would recommend going with the 955BE with lower TDP, decent board and the HD5770 you picked out in your first thread. The 955 will easily OC to 3.4 without touching the voltage.

The intel does beat the Phenom IIs in synthetic benchmarks but in real life those numbers don't mean a whole lot. (too me at least)

Both chips are very capable but if you are on a budget the Phenom II build will end up costing less and give very nice performance. If you can afford going the intel route, by all means, go for it.

Maybe with the new drivers
New drivers don't effect the processor.

Now, if you read the review in its entirety, you may learn something. Here is a quote from the last page: "The Intel Core i7 processors still rule the ranks"

Sorry, you just lost credibility in my eyes.

Hi EduardsN.

If you had read carefully you would have come across these lines:

The Phenom II X4 955 was very similar in this respect, although gaming benchmarks can be somewhat misleading due to GPU limitations, the Phenom II X4 955 is a very competitive gaming processor.

Anyway, the point is that the best bang for the buck in terms of price vs. performance is the i5 750. It is faster than the Phenom II X4 965 in benchmarks. However, the Phenom II line of processors is also very competent. You won't notice a world of difference in your apps whether you use the Intel or the AMD. I myself use the X3 720 and am very happy with the way it performs.

New drivers don't effect the processor.

Now, if you read the review in its entirety, you may learn something. Here is a quote from the last page: "The Intel Core i7 processors still rule the ranks"

Sorry, you just lost credibility in my eyes.

New drivers affect how one processor scales with the other because of GPU limitations. My point is that the phenom II's are very good gaming processors thats all

My point is that the phenom II's are very good gaming processors thats all

I think we all agree to that. No one said the Phenom IIs aren't good. Up to the OP to make his pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back