Need help on dell computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am new to this forum and not a brain on computers. My question is my flat screen goes black after I boot up. it shows the dell logo and than xp but than after that it goes blank. The computer is running in the back round. I could boot in the safe mode, but that is it. I need to know what has happen and how to fix.
Thanks

In Safe mode, go to Device Manager or Add/Remove Programs and remove the Display driver
Go back to Normal mode
Go to Dell support drivers page and download your updated video card driver
Install
Test

I agree. Cold booting to safe mode (pressing the <F8> key repeatedly once per second as soon as you press the on button will usually be a good test. You should get video on the screen at a very low resolution... but the screen should stay on. If this is the case, it is likely your video connection needs the drivers reinstalled, or the video card replaced.
What is the model or Service Tag from the back of the computer?
The usual other cause is a failed hard drive. Most Dell desktop and laptop machines will give you the flash screen... e.g. the Windows Logo and related first startup screen. It is generated from the motherboard set. Once that Windows Logo starts up, it wil then switch to the hard drive. If the hard drive is failing, it will quit at this point. The Windows XP screen goes away to black, and nothing else happens.
If it is under warranty, you need to talk to Dell next. If out of warranty, come back to us for more ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back