Need Help On Making A New PC For Gaming

By fizzleshizzle07
Mar 5, 2008
  1. hello,
    i am making a new pc and i just needed some advice oh the items i have selected. so far i am looking to get 2x 8800gs (384mb) sli with ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition with 2gb ddr2 ram. i dont know what kind of power supply i need to get? please help thank you
  2. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 1,835

I'd say at least 600-700w for that setup. Those 8800gts are gonna need a lot of power to run at full capacity.
  3. Ehimen

Ehimen TS Rookie

Although I doubt it'd be a problem, the processor is a little slower than I'd prefer for 2 8800s. Possible bottleneck? I'm not sure. Another thing you'd need to check is that the particular package you're getting with that processor is whether you'd need to buy a heatsink and fan.

As far as the PSU is concerned, the energy efficiency of the CPU will take the load off somewhat, but powering 2 top of the range graphics card could get heavy. I'd look for nothing under 600W personally. And, you need to check that the 12V rail on a potential PSU has at least a 28A amperage (from the top of my head). Note, you cannot double up 2 12V rails with this system, as it'd omit power to the 2 graphics card (unless you bought a PSU with 4 12V rails). Sorry I don't have time to be more specific.

Hope this helps somewhat,
  4. fizzleshizzle07

fizzleshizzle07 TS Rookie Topic Starter

what kind of motherboard and cup would recommend for 2x 8800gs(384mb) sli
  5. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

SLI will not be very helpful unless you have a large monitor capable of running resolutions above and including 1600x1200. Get a single 8800GT\GTS instead.
    As for a PSU, the Corsair 550VX will be plenty of power for your system.
  6. M0R0NI

M0R0NI TS Rookie Posts: 86

7. silverwingz

silverwingz TS Rookie Posts: 24

I just upgraded my computer with a few new things, that mobo that your looking at being one of them, but I was going to say you might look into getting 4gigs of ram insted of 2, that mobo can hold up to 8gigs and I think the video cards can use the full 4. sometimes you can get a deal on ram when you buy more.

Edit: I have a 680w apevia beast power and it runs pretty much anything I can plug into it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.