Need Help On Making A New PC For Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,
i am making a new pc and i just needed some advice oh the items i have selected. so far i am looking to get 2x 8800gs (384mb) sli with ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition with 2gb ddr2 ram. i dont know what kind of power supply i need to get? please help thank you

I'd say at least 600-700w for that setup. Those 8800gts are gonna need a lot of power to run at full capacity.

Although I doubt it'd be a problem, the processor is a little slower than I'd prefer for 2 8800s. Possible bottleneck? I'm not sure. Another thing you'd need to check is that the particular package you're getting with that processor is whether you'd need to buy a heatsink and fan.

As far as the PSU is concerned, the energy efficiency of the CPU will take the load off somewhat, but powering 2 top of the range graphics card could get heavy. I'd look for nothing under 600W personally. And, you need to check that the 12V rail on a potential PSU has at least a 28A amperage (from the top of my head). Note, you cannot double up 2 12V rails with this system, as it'd omit power to the 2 graphics card (unless you bought a PSU with 4 12V rails). Sorry I don't have time to be more specific.

Hope this helps somewhat,
-Em

SLI will not be very helpful unless you have a large monitor capable of running resolutions above and including 1600x1200. Get a single 8800GT\GTS instead.
As for a PSU, the Corsair 550VX will be plenty of power for your system.

I just upgraded my computer with a few new things, that mobo that your looking at being one of them, but I was going to say you might look into getting 4gigs of ram insted of 2, that mobo can hold up to 8gigs and I think the video cards can use the full 4. sometimes you can get a deal on ram when you buy more.

Edit: I have a 680w apevia beast power and it runs pretty much anything I can plug into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back